CHAPTER 5: SYBIL

Something was wrong with me. That’s why, instead of dancing my way through all the men in the hall, I decided to corner Lucian. I decided to corner my enemy. Even if I tried to justify my actions with many reasons, I came up short. The only valid reason I had for this was a foolish one, and something I shouldn’t feel for an enemy, the enemy who was busy staring at me as if I was crazy. But there was an undercurrent to his stare that sent shivers all over my body. There was something exciting, having to feel the heat of his body under my fingertips. And to make matters worse, I kept hearing how he called me sweetheart repeatedly. Again, there was something endearing about the way he called me that, and I don’t know how or why mere words made me feel like I was on fire.

“Sybil, I’m warning you, let go of me,” he snarled, but sadly, I didn’t want to move or get my hands off him. Perhaps he was right. Maybe these mate hunting games had actually driven me insane to the point where I wasn’t scared to corner the enemy, probably making a fool of myself. But I didn’t care at all. His touch made me feel things I’ve never felt before. It made me feel like my enemy and I belonged together, which was crazy.

“I told you I won’t until you tell me what I want.” So suddenly, he grabbed my shoulders, and I let him. He placed my back to the trunk, towering over me. A burst of excitement exploded deep inside of me. I should stop playing this game, but it looked like I like the thrill of it to careless about the repercussions I was going to face later.

“What is it that you want me to say?” He asked, his hand skimming down my cheek to the hollow of my neck where my pulse pounded so erratically. Placing his thumb over it, he turned those golden brown eyes to mine. Looking at him like this, seeing him this close, it looked like he was fighting something. The clench in his jaw, and the hardening of those eyes, it was clear he was fighting. But what could it be?

He was hiding something. Nothing could prove me wrong.

“Tell me what happened in there,” I breathed out, my voice sounding more foreign to my own ears.

“I don’t like to be tested, Sybil. Leave this place before I do something to you both of us will regret later,” he promised. Another shiver wrecked my body, but I ignored it. I was here to extract the truth out of him. He had to explain why his touch sent sparks over my skin. This man in front of me was the last man I should feel something for. His touch should be repulsive, but no, it was the opposite.

“What will you do?” I asked. If it meant we were going to stand here for the rest of the night, then so be it. I needed answers. I wasn’t even that sexually frustrated that I would have blamed my reaction to him on that. I had sex two days ago. I was fine.

“You really want to find out?” He leaned in, his face close to mine, his nose brushing my own. His scent, which had a hint of cedar wood and something which I suspected was totally him, enveloped me in a warm cocoon. I had no plans to get out of.

“Tell me,” I breathed out. Okay, now I was certain I had totally lost it. His thumb was still on my neck. He could feel my pulse flutter beneath it. I should aim at keeping it at bay, but I didn’t. The burning stare of Lucian’s eyes searched my face. Who knows what he was looking for. He leaned in even closer, to the point I could feel his lips brushing mine.

“Listen to me Sybil,” he moved, placing his lips on my ear. “I don’t care what’s going on with you right now, but stop this madness. You. Are. Not. My. Mate. Do you hear me?” I should nod or say some words, but I was more focused on his hot breath that fanned over my ear. “I’m a man and if you keep throwing yourself at me, I will be more than happy to comply, and we both know you don’t need that.” Lucian stepped away, leaving me there, my breathing harsh, and my heart thumping in my chest. He was right though, he was not my mate, or otherwise I would’ve known.

But what bothered me was the way my body reacted to his touch. Even now, when he was long gone, it felt like he was still here. The skin where he had touched me still burned. I could still smell him, still feel the way his body brushed against mine.

My body’s reaction had to be wrong. There was something going on me with that had to be affecting my mind and my judgment because what I did wasn’t right. It was wrong, and it looked like I was coming back to my senses and the full picture of what I had done started sinking in. Minutes ago, I cornered my greatest enemy, telling him that he made me feel things no man had ever made me feel. And knowing that bastard, he was going to use this information against me.

“What are you doing?” I jumped, the mere sound of my sister’s falsely soft, sweet voice driving me out of the most humiliating trance of my life. I turned to her, facing her growing scowl.

“Nothing,” I said. Unfortunately, my voice came out as a breathless shudder. Even now, he was still affecting me. I cleared my throat, waiting for my younger sister to say something.

“What happened to you? You look deeply flustered,” she observed. Well, she was good at that, observing what other people were doing instead of worrying about her life.

“Like I said, nothing.”

“Mom sent me to call you. Some guests are leaving.” Right, it had completely slipped my mind that I had a ball to attend to.

Fuck Lucian and whatever spell he cast on me.

I followed my sister back to the hall. Like the Council she too hated me, her reason being why she couldn’t be alpha. She had a mate and all, but sadly, she wasn’t the firstborn. Once we reached the hall, we parted ways. I had to put on fake smiles, while at the same time my eyes searched the hall for those golden brown ones and dark hair, but I didn’t find him until everything wrapped up. He was gone.

I sighed as I laid in my bed, staring at the ceiling. It was in the middle of July and the temperatures were high. The air conditioner was on, the windows wide open, but they still failed to quench the heat that was still sailing through my body, torturing me. There was one solution to this predicament, but I didn’t want to do it. That man was the enemy, and I couldn’t be here in my bed touching myself to the thought of him.

So, I twisted and turned, glaring at the ceiling, like I had a personal feud with it. Later I gave up, shredding my clothes, letting my hands roam over my body, my fingers twisting and pinching my nipples. I imagined as if he was here with me, his hands branding my skin. Imagining his lips, mapping every inch of my sensitive skin with kisses. My hand slipped under my undies, brushing over my aching, wet pussy. Using my thumb, I parted my wet folds, placing a thumb down on my aching, swollen clit. A moan slipped out of my mouth, and thanks to the soundproof walls, no one could hear me. I probably should tone it down, but the intensity was too much. It felt like it could consume whole.

I slipped a finger inside of me, pumping it in and out while I rubbed my clit over and over again, using my arousal as lube. If I were being honest, no mans touch has ever felt like this. This was on a whole new level. What was surprising was that he wasn’t there. Yet it felt like he was there.

I continued to fuck myself, feeling a powerful pressure building up in my lower stomach. A knot that wanted to burst. My movements became frantic. My breathing was a little harsh as I writhed on the bed, reaching out for that high I wanted to experience so hard. Part of me wanted this pleasure to become endless, and another part of me thought it wasn’t enough. That part needed more, wanted more.

When I reached my peak, I had to turn my head and bury my mouth in my pillow to drown out my loud moans, even though I was still sure that no one could hear me. Perhaps it was the guilt of what I had done that made me feel like someone was going to catch me any minute.

As I came down from the force of it all, that’s when I started thinking of what I had done. I just touched myself while I fantasized about him. The enemy. I shouldn’t have, and deep down, it felt like what I had done was going to complicate everything. Right at that moment, I knew I was never going to look at Lucian the same. And if it was in my power, I would do anything to never be in his presence again.