CHAPTER 6: LUCIAN

“So, your woman was starting to notice?” Lorraine asked as I made myself comfortable in a chair in her kitchen. The kitchen itself looked like a laboratory. All sorts of creatures and organs were in glass jars, and then there were the other glasses filled with powders of different colors. Herbs suspended in the air, and liquids simmering in her small pots. The room itself smelled of different flavors while it crackled with magic.

“She felt my touch,” I said, watching her stir a pot. Lorraine was a sorceress whom my aunt had introduced me to some decades ago, when I had needed the help of magic to keep me hidden from my own mate. And this woman right here was the savior. She wore her auburn hair in a ponytail, with a huge blouse and skirt. She looked like the freak everyone said she was. Well, as I learned, people tend to judge the things they don’t quite understand, and she lived in the part of the world where humans were free to roam around. Gosh, I hated them with everything I got. Most of them smelled like misery, which was highly disgusting.

“That’s not a good enough reason for you to come here. When people touch, something has to be felt.” She said, as the pot she was working let out a small puff of steam. She smiled to herself, removed the pot from the fire and once she removed the pot, the fire died down just like that.

“Then she ran to me, claiming I’m her mate,” I finished. This time she stopped what she was doing completely, a frown forming on her round face marked with wrinkles.

“Are you sure?” She asked, this time frowning at me.

“It’s what happened.”

“Didn’t you dream about it?” This time, I was the one who frowned at her. Did she really think I would come here after I dreamed about this? Goodness, I wasn’t that paranoid that I was losing the thin line between reality and dreams. Everything happened. I lived and witnessed it with my own eyes.

“Oh okay,” she grumbled while I gave her a dark look. I wasn’t crazy, not yet.

“But there still is time,” she mused to herself. I didn’t interrupt her as she worked on whatever she was doing. She and my aunt were good friends, something you don’t see among the species. It’s not forbidden, but it was rare, and I could say she was the last person I considered family.

“I believe Frieda was wrong this time,” she said, emerging from where she disappeared to. Now that she was saying it too, I wanted to believe it. I really wanted to.

“You know that’s not possible.”

“Then, if it’s the truth, you can’t stop fate. What’s meant to happen will happen. If she’s meant to die, she will—”

“Don’t say it,” I warned.

“—Die,” Lorraine finished nonetheless. I closed my eyes. She was wrong about that. All I needed to do was find the person who wanted to harm her life, and I was going to destroy whoever it was. Once the threat was over, then Sybil and I could be together.

“It’s the truth, Lucian, so you could do yourself a favor and stop this suffering. Make her yours before you regret never spending time with her.”

“I won’t do that,” I said, stubborn. That meant risking her life, and if everything was to pass like my aunt said, then what? Was I willing to live with the pain all my life? I didn’t come this far to just mess it all up now.

“It’s your choice Lucian. Frieda was never wrong, but there is always a first time for everything.”

“Just give me that potion.” Reluctantly, she complied, giving me a vial of a purple liquid that swirled in the glass. Instead of drinking it, I glared at it. Something was different. The color wasn’t a deep purple as it used to be, but a pale one.