CHAPTER 10: LUCIAN

“What did you do?” I asked Lorraine. We were sitting at the back of her house watching the sun faded away. I didn’t take any pleasure in sightseeing, and that right there made my patience wain.

“What should’ve been done years ago. Why torture yourself, Lucian?” She looked at me then, her eyes held sadness. But if she was sad, then she shouldn’t have messed with the potion.

“Have lost your mind?” I jumped to my feet, pacing around the porch.

“Be thankful I did it for you. Deep down you know—”

“It wasn’t your call to make!” I should’ve known that day that she tampered with the portion. It’s the reason it tasted and looked different.

“You and I know that what your aunt dreamed about will come true no matter what you do. You could distance yourself from her or do anything to protect her, but none of that will help, and you know it. She will die, Lucian, no matter what you do.”

“I’ve kept her alive for a century. I was prepared to do the same. Now you went right in and messed everything up!”

“That’s how destiny works. You can’t control it, and you damn well can’t run from it. So I suggest you enjoy your time with her before it’s too late.” Was she even hearing herself? She just set Sybil on a path of death, and she was telling me to enjoy myself? If only I could put a face and a name to the enemy, all of this would be so easy.

“You can make her forget. She won’t remember any of this.” I abruptly turned to her. Of course, that was going to work.

“I won’t help you, Lucian.”

“You created this mess, only you can fix it. So fix it, Lorraine.”

“Watch the way you talk to me. And what’s done is done. I won’t reverse it.”

“If she dies, I will hunt you down and finish you.”

“She was going to die either way. I just made this bearable for you.”

“Bearable would mean I didn’t get to know her. I was prepared to do anything for her, and you went right in and destroyed everything.”

“It’s for the best,” Lorraine said.

“Do you even understand the weight of what you’ve done? You just set the wheels of destiny into motion! It wasn’t your call to make!” I took in deep calming breaths, but they didn’t help. I just wanted to hit something to get rid of the pent up anger. How dare she.

“Nothing you do will stop this. Just accept it, Lucian. She was bound to die, and I guess my role in all of this was to get everything started.” I turned to her again. Like before, there was no remorse in the way she looked at me.

“Fix it,” I snarled, marching my way towards her, only stopping when an inch separated her. She was a sorceress. There were lots of worse things she could do it me, but I didn’t care. When it came to Sybil, nothing else mattered. She knew, and Lorraine could make her forget until I dealt with the threat.

“What’s done is done. I’m sorry.” Lorraine sighed and walked to the door. “It’s for the best,” she said, grabbing the doorknob, twisting it, and opening the door.

“We can protect her.”

“Shut up. Please, just shut up!” I was trying to think while my wolf spent half his time convincing me we could be with her and protect her at the same time. We both knew the truth. We couldn’t. I spent years trying to find the person who could bring harm to Sybil, but I came up short. I investigated everyone in the pack as best as I could, still nothing.