CHAPTER 8:

“Tell me this is a joke.” I had to understand. I had to know, and maybe this was a dream, like I had thought. If it was, then I would be glad.

“Stop being stupid. You wanted him, I wanted him, and now we have our wish.”

My wolf was more than excited. I couldn’t even fully explain it. She was feeling something even I failed to explain. I wanted him, yes, but that didn’t mean I could overlook what was going on here just because I was so excited. And before I could get all excited and all I had to think. Lucian knew we were mates. He knew maybe before he got here, yet he hid it from me, from everyone. There was something going on here or the reason was that he didn’t… I shook my head before I could start thinking about the worst.

“Sybil,” he took a tentative step towards me while I stood there shaking my head.

“You need to calm down first, then let’s talk.”

“Tell me one thing,” I started. Of course, I knew the answer before I asked, but I wanted to hear it from him before I started making assumptions. This had to be the happiest day of my life, but look what it turned into. Like my wolf said, it’s not like I didn’t want him. But my denial all stemmed from the fact that I felt betrayed. I spent years of my life looking for a mate who was right there in front of me.

“Did you know?”

“I did,” he said.

“I see.” I turned my back on him for the second time that day, shifted and started to run. Letting my feet carry me away from him. If only it could carry me away from the pain in my heart, that would be wonderful. He was following me, but I didn’t stop running. He was the one I wanted to get away from, and he looked like he didn’t take the hint. I only stopped when the air filled with the miserable and desperate scent of humans. It meant we were near to one of the remaining human strongholds and if I kept going, I could get killed.

I shifted, found some clothes in the bushes and put them on. Lucian found me. He, too, shifted, and I had to look away before I saw his nakedness. On any other day, I would be thrilled to see him that way, but now I averted my eyes. By the end of this, I knew he was going to hurt me. I was bracing myself for the impact.

“You can look. I’m yours after all.” I didn’t say anything to his words. Everything felt surreal, like I was in a deep sleep having the most disturbing dream of my life. This was disturbing. Even though I felt something for Lucian, I never imagine it would come down to this. Now, I had no idea what to feel about what was happening.

“Sybil,” he called, his voice filled with caution. Knowing I couldn’t ignore him forever, I turned to him. He had found some shots, and l blessed the darkness for I couldn’t see him properly.

“We need to turn back,” he said. He was right about that. This place could prove to be dangerous in a matter of minutes, but I didn’t want to leave at all. Not until I had every question in my head answered. If he knew, then why did he keep it from me? How did he keep it away from me all this time? If he was my mate, I would know just upon looking at him, or if he touched me, yet after all these years I felt nothing. He used magic to hide our bond. It had to be that. But the question remained the same. Why?

“I’m not leaving this place until you answer all of my questions?” Dammit, if he were to fight it, I was going to use the power I had on every wolf in my pack on him. Something told me that even if I were to abuse my power, he would keep silent about it. He didn’t want me or anyone knowing about our bond, so he wasn’t going to go around the pack telling everyone that I used an alpha’s order on him.

“It’s not safe here.”

“Then get to talking.”

“Seriously Sybil, let’s go home and I will explain everything.”