CHAPTER 12: SYBIL

I stayed a total of four days at Silver Dawn Pack. To say the least, they were the four days of peace I had in a long while. Only one thing could ruin it, though: Javier’s mate. I don’t know what was wrong with her, but every time she stared at me like she wanted to driver a dagger deep in my chest.

“So,” Javier started, picking what I thought to be a dahlia from one of the numerous flower beds in the pack’s garden. The smell of freshly overturned earth filled the air. I leveled in it, in the peace it brought me.

“Hold on,” I stopped walking at his words and looked at him. He had a thoughtful expression on his face.

Then he said, “I shouldn’t be beating around the bush, right?”

“Yep,” I said, plucking a leaf from a thorny branch.

“I know you’re not here because of the Council, I know it’s something else.” Javier knee me so well, perhaps it was because we spent a couple of decades together ending our relationship when he found his mate. Years ago, I thought him finding his mate would change everything between us, but the opposite happened. Our friendship lasted, and I liked that.

“You’re right about that.” Also, Javier was the only one I could talk to freely without the fear of having him saying anything to anyone. The man knew how to keep a secret.

“Then tell me perhaps I could offer my insight.” I didn’t think there was anything he could say that would make me feel better.

“I found my mate,” I said before I thought better of it, and decided to keep it to myself.

“Then that’s good news! Oh, Sybil, you’ve no idea how happy I’m for you. There was a time I thought you would always be alone. Now you’ve someone,” he said. He genuinely looked happy for me. I wished that was the same with me when I found him too.

“Hold on,” he said, lifting his hand in the air. “Something is wrong here.” He stayed quiet for a while, and I waited for him to figure it out.

“You should be happy. Why are you not?”

“It’s complicated,” I said.

“Doesn’t he fit your expectations? Is he young? Evil? Corrupt? Very old? An omega? Did he reject you? I swear, if he did,him, I will hunt him down.” I watched him fascinated at how worked up he looked.

“Not even close,” I muttered.

“Wait, what? I got it all wrong?”

“You’re not omniscient, Javier.”

“Huh, I used to think I was,” he said, and I laughed. That right there was what I needed. To be in front of someone who could make me laugh and forget everything else, unlike the people back home who were busy judging and antagonising me in every turn I took.

“He knew. For a century this man knew that we belonged together,” I said. I could feel a certain weight being lifted off me as I laid it all out.

“What?” Javier screamed. I was convinced that he made enough noise for his entire pack to hear him. “Tell me you’re joking.”

“Nope.” I plucked another leaf, one thorn piercing my skin. I blushed it off. I knew such a minor injury would heal in the next second.

“I think he had his reasons.” Of course, Lucian had a reason for what he did. A ridiculous, stupid reason that I refused to believe.

“It’s funny,” I said.

“Come on, spill already.”

“His aunt had a dream,” I started feeling like a dense person as I narrated the crazy tale like I was the who came up with it.