Mở đầu vụ án mới

Chapter  1
A Whisper in the Shadows

The next morning, determination hung heavily in the air as Mai and Thanh approached the construction site. It loomed ominously, a skeletal structure that had long halted its growth. Tall fences partially shielded the land, but they slunk around the perimeter undetected, keen not to attract attention.

As they peered through a gap in the fencing, the scene was disconcerting. Men in hard hats bustled about, but there was something off about their movements—an urgency that sent alarm bells ringing in Mai’s mind. She took notes, jotting down everything she observed, while Thanh scanned the area, noting the offices, vehicles, and even the surveillance cameras that hovered above like silent guardians.

“Are you sure we should just be standing here?” Thanh whispered.

Just then, a loud crash emanated from within the site, sending a shudder through the two of them. Their instincts kicked in, and without exchanging a word, they ducked behind some bushes to observe.

“It’s the foreman!” Mai gasped, as two men dressed in black appeared, faces obscured by masks. They engaged in a heated argument, and it was clear that something was amiss. The foreman darted away from them, but they quickly closed in, their intentions dark and menacing.

“Should we intervene?” Thanh asked, adrenaline coursing through his veins like fire.

“No,” Mai replied sternly, her instincts firmly rooted. “We need to gather information first. We can’t risk making it worse.”

They stayed hidden, hearts pounding as they witnessed the confrontation unfold. The foreman stumbled back and fell, the men looming over him menacingly. Mai’s journalistic instincts flared up; she knew they were witnessing something crucial.

“Look!” Thanh gasped, pointing at something shiny that had slipped from the foreman’s pocket during the scuffle.

Before they could process what had happened, the two masked men exited through another side of the site, leaving the foreman bruised and shaken on the ground. Knowing they had to act quickly, Mai and Thanh made their move just as the foreman struggled to his feet.

“Are you alright? Can we help you?” Mai’s voice came out stronger than she felt.

The foreman looked at them with wide eyes, clearly disoriented. “You... you shouldn’t be here. It’s not safe,” he stammered.

“But what happened?” Thanh pressed, and there was an urgency in his voice that urged the foreman to trust them.

He glanced back towards the site, fear evident in his demeanor. “They’re involved with something—something dark. There’s corruption, and it runs deep. But I don’t know who to trust. You need to leave. If they see you…”