chap 31 - Day off

### **A Day Off for Thanh and Mai**

#### **Morning: A Slow Start**

The sun peeked through the curtains of their small apartment, casting a warm glow over the room. It was a rare day off for Thanh and Mai, and they had no plans other than to relax and enjoy each other's company. The clock ticked slowly, but neither of them seemed to mind. They both cherished these moments of calm in their otherwise hectic lives.

Thanh woke up first, stretching lazily in bed. He turned to see Mai still sleeping peacefully beside him. He smiled, reaching out to gently brush a strand of hair from her face. The stress lines that usually marked her expression were softened in sleep, and she looked serene.

Not wanting to wake her, Thanh slipped out of bed quietly. He padded barefoot to the kitchen, deciding to surprise Mai with breakfast. He took his time, savoring the simple act of cooking—something he rarely had time for. As he cracked eggs into a bowl and whisked them into a fluffy scramble, he felt a sense of contentment wash over him.

#### **Breakfast in Bed**

Mai stirred awake, the smell of coffee and eggs drawing her from sleep. She stretched and smiled as she heard Thanh humming softly in the kitchen. She couldn't remember the last time they'd had a morning like this—no alarms, no urgent calls, just the promise of a day spent together.

"Good morning," Thanh greeted her with a smile as she walked into the kitchen, still in her pajamas.

"Good morning," Mai replied, leaning up to kiss him on the cheek. "This is a nice surprise."

"I thought we could start our day with a proper breakfast," Thanh said, plating the food and pouring coffee into two mugs. "How about we eat on the balcony?"

Mai nodded, appreciating the gesture. They carried their breakfast outside, sitting at a small table on the balcony that overlooked the bustling city below. The morning air was crisp, and the sun was just warm enough to be comfortable.

As they ate, they talked about everything and nothing—sharing memories, joking about their colleagues, and planning hypothetical trips they'd like to take someday. For a little while, they let themselves forget about the cases that usually consumed their lives.

#### **Afternoon: A Stroll Through the Park**

After breakfast, they decided to take a walk through the nearby park. It was a beautiful day, with the sun shining brightly and a gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the trees. The park was full of life—children playing, couples strolling hand in hand, and the occasional jogger passing by.

Mai took Thanh's hand as they walked, enjoying the feeling of being together without any particular destination in mind. They stopped at a small pond where ducks were lazily swimming, and Thanh bought a bag of bread crumbs from a nearby vendor so they could feed them.

"I could get used to this," Mai said, watching the ducks eagerly chase after the crumbs they threw.

"Me too," Thanh agreed. "It's nice to just... be. No pressure, no deadlines."

They found a bench in a quiet corner of the park and sat down, enjoying the peace and quiet. Mai rested her head on Thanh's shoulder, and they sat in comfortable silence, watching the world go by.

#### **Evening: A Simple Dinner**

As the sun began to set, they made their way back home. Instead of going out for dinner, they decided to cook together. Thanh suggested a simple pasta dish, and Mai agreed, happy to spend more time in the cozy kitchen.

They moved around the kitchen in perfect sync, with Mai chopping vegetables while Thanh boiled the pasta. There was an easy rhythm to their movements, a silent communication born from years of partnership both on and off the job.

Dinner was simple but delicious, and they ate at the dining table, talking about their hopes for the future. It was rare for them to have the luxury of looking forward, but today felt different. It felt like a glimpse of what life could be like if they ever decided to step away from their demanding careers.

#### **Night: Under the Stars**

After dinner, they decided to head up to the rooftop of their apartment building. It was a clear night, and the stars were out in full force. They brought up a blanket and a bottle of wine, intending to spend the rest of the evening stargazing.

As they lay on the blanket, looking up at the sky, Mai turned to Thanh. "Do you think we'll ever have more days like this?"

Thanh thought for a moment before replying. "I hope so. But even if we don't, I'm glad we had today."

They clinked their glasses together, toasting to the day they'd spent in each other's company. The night was quiet, save for the distant sounds of the city, and they felt completely at peace.

As the stars twinkled above them, Thanh and Mai knew that whatever challenges lay ahead, they could face them together. Today had been a reminder of the strength of their bond and the love that sustained them through even the toughest times.