chap 14

Murder by Preference (Continued)

#### Chapter 14: Reflections and New Beginnings

The exhibition continued to draw attention, and the local media covered Emma’s story extensively, showcasing her work and the tragic circumstances surrounding her death. For Thanh and Mai, it was a bittersweet victory; while justice had been served, the scars of the case lingered.

A few weeks later, as they returned to the precinct, they found themselves inundated with calls and requests from other departments seeking their expertise on similar cases. It seemed that the impact of their work had rippled far beyond Oakwood.

“Looks like we’re in high demand,” Mai said, a mix of pride and exhaustion in her voice.

Thanh smiled faintly. “I guess that’s what happens when you solve a high-profile case. We should use this momentum to make a difference.”

They decided to host a community workshop focused on art safety and mental health, inviting local artists to discuss the challenges they faced and how to navigate the often cutthroat world of creativity. The response was overwhelming, with artists from all backgrounds eager to share their experiences and learn from one another.

At the first workshop, they found themselves surrounded by passionate individuals sharing stories of support and collaboration. It felt like a small victory—an opportunity to create a positive change in the art community.

As the discussions unfolded, Mai noticed a familiar face in the crowd—Jessica, the artist they had interviewed previously. She had come to share her experiences, eager to be part of the solution.

“Thank you for giving us a space to talk about these issues,” Jessica said, her voice sincere. “I realized that my jealousy of Emma wasn’t just about her success; it was about my own insecurities. I want to help change the narrative.”

Thanh and Mai exchanged looks of approval, grateful that their efforts were fostering healing rather than division.

#### Chapter 15: A New Case Emerges

Months passed, and the workshops grew in popularity, creating a supportive network among local artists. However, as they focused on the positive developments, a new case emerged that would challenge their resolve once again.

One evening, while wrapping up another successful workshop, Thanh received a call from the precinct. “We have a situation you need to see,” the voice on the other end said urgently. “Another artist has been found dead, and the circumstances are suspicious.”

Mai’s expression turned serious as they both rushed to the scene. They arrived at a gallery where the body of a prominent artist, Leo Chen, lay lifeless on the floor, surrounded by his unfinished works. The vibrant colors of his paintings stood in stark contrast to the grim reality of the situation.

“What happened?” Thanh asked one of the officers on the scene.

“Looks like he fell from the balcony,” the officer replied. “But witnesses say they heard an argument before the fall. Some think it might not be an accident.”

“Let’s see what we can find,” Mai said, her determination reignited.

#### Chapter 16: Unraveling the Mystery

As they began their investigation, they discovered that Leo had been in the midst of a fierce rivalry with another artist, Clara, who had recently made headlines for her controversial work. The two had publicly clashed over artistic integrity and influence, making them prime suspects in each other’s eyes.

“Leo and Clara had a lot of history,” said one of Leo’s friends, visibly shaken by the news. “They were once close but turned into fierce competitors.”