Chapter Twenty-Eight: Spring Break

April 1998 - Malfoy Manor

Spring break. I don't know why, but the words hung heavily on my mind as I got on the train. One person had been consuming my thoughts: Luna. With how little I had done for Dumbledore's Army this year, I knew I had to do this. I had to do something to help Luna. But I didn't know what. I had no realistic concept of what my options were, or how I could help her without getting myself or Draco in trouble. And though I knew she was in Malfoy Manor, I had no idea where.

It wasn't like the last time I had been there. Draco and I were out of the woods, so we were greeted openly by both Lucius and Narcissa. They embraced me as their daughter, enamored by the idea. I was taken to "meet" Bellatrix for the "first time." Thankfully, she didn't recognize me. I got to play a character. A snobby rich girl. Lucius ate it up, which was my plan. I got to tell him all about how my assignment from the Dark Lord was going. But through all that, I could only think of Luna.

On the first night, I snuck out of my room to explore, trying to find her. I wandered around aimlessly, and then I spotted Wormtail. He was pacing back and forth around this staircase that went into the ground. Draco had mentioned that they did have dungeons in Malfoy Manor, and this particular location seemed like a good place for them. But how was I going to get rid of Wormtail? I knew he was scared of me. I probably could have just walked right up to him and told him to get lost. But he would have told someone. Then I thought of something.

"Expelliarmus," I whispered, which sent his wand flying, as he wasn't prepared. He looked around swiftly.

"Who's there?" he finally said. "I'm warning you." He looked around and then

turned around to pick up his wand.

"Wingardium Leviosa," I said. His wand started levitating, causing him to stumble back.

"Whoever it is, I'm warning you!" he said, making the same empty promise. He tried to reach for his wand, but I raised it higher. He had to start jumping for it. It was quite amusing. I was hiding behind a pillar in which behind me was a dark hallway.

"Accio wand," I whispered. His wand flew right into my hand as I hid behind the pillar. As he turned around to try to see where it had gone, all he saw was the dark hallway, and he raced into it, thinking his wand was somewhere in the darkness. It shouldn't have been that easy.

I walked over to where he was standing guard. At the end of the staircase was a gate. I rushed down the stairs and poked my face in between the rails. It was pitch black.

"Luna?" I whispered. My voice echoed throughout the dark dungeon. "Luna, are you in there? It's Grace." I waited a few more seconds.

"Grace?" I finally heard. I still couldn't see, so I got out my wand.

"Lumos," I said, and the light from my wand illuminated the room. There she was.

"Luna!" I said, and I hugged her the best I could between the rails. "Oh my god, are you ok?"

"Oh, I'm fine," she said calmly. "Mr. Ollivander's been keeping me company."

"Ollivander?" I asked.

"Yes, he's here as well," she said. "I'd show you, but he's sleeping and I don't want to wake him up."

"Oh, of course," I said. I analyzed the lock on the gate. "Wormtail's got the keys. Do you think 'Alohomora' would work?"

"Worth a shot," she said.

"Alright. Stand back. Alohomora!" Swiftly and easily, the door swung open. Luna and I laughed and how easy it was to set her free.

"I can't believe you're really here!" she said, throwing her arms around me.

"I can't believe you're really here," I said back. "Alright, you're out of the dungeon...oh shit..."

"What is it?"

"Luna," I said. "I didn't think this far ahead. This place is looted with death eaters. I don't think I can get you out of here."

"Oh," she said. "I'm sure we can think of something."

In the midst of our contemplating, we heard a small gasp at the top of the staircase. Our heads snapped around to see a small little creature standing at the top, who then scurried away. Mippy.

"Oh shit," I said.

"Who's that?" Luna asked.

"Damnit," I said. I raced up the stairs after Mippy. Luna followed.

"Mippy, get back here!" I shouted, gaining on her.

"Mippy saw nothing, Miss Grace!" I finally caught her and held her still.

"Mippy, where do you think you're going?"

"Mippy wasn't going anywhere! Mippy was simply giving Miss Grace private time with the prisoner." I raised an eyebrow.

"You weren't going to tell Lucius?"

"Mippy could never betray her master," she cried. "But...Mippy rather likes Miss Grace. And Mippy knows the prisoner is Miss Grace's friend."

"Wait a minute," I said. "Mippy, you can apparate, can't you?"

"Yes," she said.

"Can you apparate Luna to Hogwarts?"

"Mippy would like to help Miss Grace," she said. "But Mippy cannot betray her master."

"Ok," I said. "It's alright, just...don't say anything to anyone."

"But Mippy can help!" she piped.

"What was that?"

"Mippy cannot take the prisoner," she said. "But Mippy knows someone who can..."