Chapter 47: Fuck, Mom! Seriously!?

Zye

She laughs at his comment and then runs at me, pressing her lips to mine, and I forget where we are, and what just happened for a few seconds.

“Zye,” My Mom’s voice breaks through the spell she has me under, and I pull back.

“Behave,” I warn her with a smirk. “Mom. This is Nyx, my mate. Nyx -”

“Willow… I’m sorry about that.” Nyx cuts me off. My Mom smiles.

“Are you -”

“Nope,” Nyx says before my Mom even finishes speaking. “If I detect a threat to my mates -”

“I understand. It’s a pleasure to meet you. Zye, you will be home shortly I hope.” My Mom says, then seeing Nyx is about to protest and take a step forward, I quickly snag her around the waist.

“Mom. Don’t provoke her… Baby, she just means so she can talk to me.” Nyx grits her teeth and closes her eyes, and after a few deep breaths, she opens them, and they're back to their normal color, and she smiles at me.

“Mom, I’ll be back to the house soon, I’ll just see Nyx home,” I tell my Mom, who nods, and the King bids us goodnight, then we all leave and pile back into the car to head to Nyx’s house. She’s feeling anxious that I’m going to leave her, but it won’t be for long. After the way she’s been, she’s doing considerably well.

“Spitfire, I promise not to be too long. But I need to speak with my Mom without you potentially killing her… I was also hoping to mate with Kaiden.” I add hesitantly, hoping she’s not too upset that I want it to be just me and him. She turns in my arms and looks at me.

“I want to mate with Kaiden on my own too, so don’t think it hurts my feelings. Yes, if he had known earlier about being able to hide the mating stuff, I’d probably have let him mate me with you there. But I’m glad it didn’t work out that way. Without you both making my brain turn to mush and after mating with you… There’s just something about it that makes me feel it wouldn’t be fair. I want my focus to be on him. It’s an intimacy where our souls touch and connect for the first time, leaving a piece of each other behind. It’s not something that should be shared with anyone, but the one you’re connecting to.” She tells me, as my smile grows.

“I couldn’t have said it better myself, love.” She snuggles back into me for the rest of the drive and when we get to hers, I walk her to the back steps and kiss her, telling her I’ll be back soon. If it becomes too painful and Sage can’t help, she just needs to tell me and I will come back straight away, but her face goes blank, and I see her eyes light up with flames, but she seems unfocused.

“What is it?” She pulls back her lips in a sneer, a deep rumble filling her chest.

“Nyx, what -” She lets the roar free and flames ignite all over her body, matching her eyes.

“Someone’s about to die for hurting our mate.” She rages, her voice sounding weird, because I can hear her animals’ voices mixed with hers, they are all one in their anger. But it makes no sense. She turns to the car and I follow her.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m going to kill whoever is hurting our mate.” She growls and opens the car door, but I slam it shut, stopping her.

“You can’t be seen…” She keeps struggling with the door as I keep shutting it, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang! “At the Pack Palace… Are you crazy!... I’m sure Kaiden is fine... He would tell us if he needed -” With a growl, she cuts me off, then storms back out the door of the garage. I try to grab her wrist and calm her down, but she keeps evading me, and when she starts lifting Kaiden’s tee up, I dive on her and pin her to the ground. She was going to shift to get there! I have to use the link as her anger isn’t letting her hear me, but she’s using her mind link too.