Chapter 14

The expedition set forth, led by Lysander, with each member of the team bearing a mix of apprehension and excitement. They travelled by land and air, using a variety of methods to track the dragon's movements, all the while cognizant of the race against time that they faced.

The days stretched on as they followed the dragon's scent and sought out eyewitnesses accounts of its whereabouts. Evenings were spent in quiet camaraderie, as the group discussed their progress and strategized their next moves.

As they ventured further into the southern reaches of their kingdom, they encountered a small village that had been disrupted by the dragon's presence. The villagers recounted tales of the creature's destructive tendencies, destroying crops and terrifying the residents. The situation was more dire than Lysander had anticipated; it was imperative to locate and contain the dragon before any further harm could be done.

With renewed determination, Lysander Rhyndir and his team pressed on, following the trail of devastation left in the dragon's wake. The landscape around them grew increasingly rugged and treacherous, but still they pressed forward, determined to reclaim their kingdom's lost treasure before it could be lost forever to their opponents.

The fateful day finally arrived when Lysander and his team laid eyes upon the juvenile dragon for the first time since its escape. The creature, half-hidden in the shadows of a rocky outcropping, seemed lost and agitated, its golden eyes darting anxiously around in search of solace.

Lysander, taking a deep breath, stepped forward to face the dragon, his heart pounding with a mixture of excitement, relief and trepidation. "You have caused quite a stir, little one," he said softly, inching closer to the creature. "But fear not, for I am here to help you. I will guide you back to your home, where you will be loved and respected."

The dragon sniffed the air, its keen senses taking in Lysander's scent before releasing an irritated yelp, seemingly unwilling to be pacified so easily.

Undeterred, the prince stood his ground, his determination unwavering. "I know you are confused and frightened," he said, his voice gentle yet firm. "But you must trust me, for I have a connection with your kind that no one else can claim. I swear on our kingdom's honour, and my own, that I will see you safely returned."

His words seemed to quell the creature's agitation, and it remained still, cautiously observing Lysander with its shining, golden eyes.

Lysander continued to speak to the dragon, but without warning, the creature vanished in a cloud of smoke and sulfur. The gathered group watched in shock as the draconic presence dissipated, leaving only a lingering scent and the memory of the beast's yellow irises.

He stood dumbfounded, his words abruptly cut off by the unexpected disappearance. "Where did it go?" The prince exclaimed, his brow furrowed with confusion and concern. "What caused it to leave so suddenly? And more importantly, what the devil was it searching for?"

The team members shook their heads, equally puzzled by the dragon's abrupt departure. They discussed the implications, and Lysander could not help but wonder if the young dragon's behaviour was connected to something deeper-a secret or a yearning that went beyond mere curiosity or mischief. The question weighed heavily on his mind, casting a shadow of doubt on his ability to reunite the creature with its rightful home.