Chapter 26

"Tristan?" She whispered, her voice barely audible, filled with a mixture of astonishment and concern. He stood frozen, his mind racing to concoct a plausible explanation for his sudden appearance in her chambers. He cursed his impulsiveness, knowing that he had put both of them in a precarious position.

"Please," he replied, his voice a soothing murmur, "do not wake the entire castle. It is merely I, here to speak with you privately." Laina slowly sat up, her eyes never leaving Tristan's face. She appeared conflicted, caught between her sense of propriety and her desire for closeness with the very person standing before her.

"Triss, this is most improper," she finally said, her voice trembling with a mix of uncertainty and yearning. "If anyone were to discover you here, the consequences would be dire for both of us." Aware of the delicate situation, he drew a measured breath before speaking. "I know, Laina," he began, moving forward to kneel beside her. "But I could not sleep, my mind consumed with thoughts of you. I simply had to see you, if only for a moment."

He reached out, taking her hand in his. "Tell me to leave, and I shall go without question," he said, desperation and hope mingling in his eyes. "But until then, please do not send me away." The young princess' eyes softened, and her gaze dropped to where Tristan gently held her hand. "Tristan," she began, her emotions warring within her, "you know as well as I do that we cannot continue like this, playing with fire."

She looked back up at him, her voice barely above a whisper. "But your presence has a way of clouding my judgment, of making me want things that I know are forbidden. Our parents..." her voice faltered, and she hesitated for a moment before continuing.

"They would be outraged, Tristan. They would never approve of this connection between us, not when it goes against everything we should hold most dear. We are siblings, bound by blood, and our connection is not one that should be clouded by desire." The weight of her words bore down on both of them, and Tristan Ravenheart felt the truth of it in his soul. Yet, he could not deny the spark that had ignited between them, a force that would not be easily extinguished.

In a desperate attempt to find a way forward, he ventured, "what if we simply kept this to ourselves? What if we swore an oath to conceal our feelings, to protect our family, and to hide our love in the shadows? We could find a way to be together, secretly, without risking the disapproval of those who would seek to tear us apart."

Her heart raced, torn between the practicality of his words and the undeniable pull of the bond that bound them. She wrestled with the implications, the consequences, and the risk to both their reputations and their hearts.

Tristan tightened his grip on Laina's hand, his voice growing more ardent with each word. "Imagine, my darling, a life where we could be together, where our love would flourish like moonlight amidst the inky darkness. We would be like lovers in a forbidden tale, stealing moments of passion under the cloak of night, all while safeguarding our happiness from prying eyes."

Laina's breath hitched as she absorbed his words, picturing the clandestine romance he painted with such poetic fervour. "Our parents would never know," he continued, his voice a whisper of longing and hope, "and we could forge our love in the shadows, shielded from judgment and scorn. Think of the thrill of clandestine meetings, stolen kisses, and whispered promises. The risk would only serve to heighten the connection we share."

She trembled, her resolve wavering under the seductive allure of Tristan's promises. It was a tantalizing prospect-to be with the one she loved-yet it could bring chaos and heartache in its wake.