Chapter 27

Tristan's lips followed his hands, trailing along her collarbone and down her throat, his kisses leaving a burning trail as he explored the curve of her chest, finding her breasts and teasing each nipple with his tongue.

She moaned softly beneath him, her hands finding his hair and fingers entwining in its thick strands, pulling him closer as she gave into the mounting pleasure that coursed through her. Laina whispered his name, her voice filled with need, and he responded with a low growl, his mouth devouring hers as he gave in to her desire.

With the taste of their passion on their lips, their bodies pressed closer, hands seeking out every inch of one another as the desire between them became an unbearable inferno. Her fingers wandered to the waistband of his trousers, undoing the buttons and pulling the fabric away, her touch sending sparks coursing through him.

"Laina, my love." He groaned, his words a hoarse plea as she exposed his arousal to the night's air. He wasted no time, pressing her back against the sheets beneath them. His lips travelled down her chest, leaving a trail of tender kisses as he moved lower, his hands spreading her legs further open to grant him access to her sensitive core.

She gasped as his fingers caressed her, her back arching with excitement and pleasure as she gave herself over to his touch. The connection between them was intense, electric, their shared pleasure making them one as they lost themselves in the passion they had unleashed.

His mouth found the course of her arousal, his tongue flicking and circling her as he tasted her essence, her body trembling under the greatness of his caress. She cried out, fingers pulling at his hair, the heat of their lovemaking a tangible force between them, overwhelming in its intensity.

Just as they reached the brink of ecstasy, their bodies entwined in a frenzy of desire, a knock on the door snapped back to reality. Garreth's voice called through the thick wood. "Your Highness, are you alright? Shall I come in and see if you need anything?"

Tristan and Laina shared a brief, panic-filled glance, knowing they were moments away from being caught and the ruin of their clandestine affair discovered. They lay still, heart racing for what seemed an eternity before he finally whispered in her ear that he must go, "Garreth must not find me here. Say you are well, my love, to send him away."

Taking a deep breath, the princess rose from the bed, hastily straightened her nightdress to appear as if she had been merely resting. Calling out with a feigned air of nonchalance, "I am alright, Sir Garreth. Thank you for checking on me. I believe I shall retire for the night." A moment of silence stretched on, and finally, Garreth's footsteps could be heard moving down the corridor, further away from her door.

Releasing a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, she turned back to him who was still lying half-naked on the bed, his chest heaving from the events that had just passed. With a soft smile, she returned to his embrace and shared another brief but tender kiss, before reluctantly began to reassemble their clothing, preparing for the bitter farewell that was upon them.

As they stood at the door, hands entwined, Tristan Ravenheart whispered, "I must go. Until tomorrow, my love." With a mix of urgency and caution, he peered out the door to check if the coast was clear. Satisfied that Garreth had left, he stole a last, parting kiss from Laina before exiting the room, disappearing into the shadows of the corridors like a thief in the night.