Ch.18: WatchDog?

I leaned back in my chair, trying to regain some semblance of composure

I leaned back in my chair, trying to regain some semblance of composure. What the hell was going on with me? I couldn't shake the image of Angelica from my mind-the way her lips had parted ever so slightly when I'd leaned in, the flash of fire in her eyes when she talked back to me. It was as if I'd been drawn to her, and for what? Some sick joke my mind was playing on me?

I loosened my tie, trying to release the tension that had coiled in my chest. This was unlike anything I'd felt before, and it was messing with my head. I was always in control, always. Yet, here I was, unraveling over a maid who had the audacity to challenge me at every turn.

And that phone call... Jason Reynold. Why the hell did I even bother picking up? It's not like I needed more stress.

"Can't you fucking wait?" I'd barked at him, irritated that he'd interrupted my thoughts.

Jason, that annoying bastard, had just laughed, as if he didn't have a care in the world. Probably high as a kite, again. "We made a deal, the project gotta be done, Young Boss."

"Young Boss." I could practically hear the smirk in his voice, as if he knew it would piss me off. The nickname grated on me-always had, always would. I'd shut him down quickly, threatening to rip his heart out if he called me that again.

Silence on the other end. Good.

I rubbed my temples, feeling the onset of a headache. Dealing with Jason was always a chore, but I couldn't deny that he was useful. Dangerous, unpredictable, but useful. "I'll send Chloe to help you," I'd added, wanting to get the call over with.

Jason had hummed in acknowledgment before hanging up. Even though the conversation was over, the unease lingered. Something about Jason always felt off, like he was hiding something, or maybe it was just that he knew more than he let on.

I stared at my phone, contemplating the odd turn of events. I wasn't supposed to be affected by anyone-especially not by some fiery maid who had the nerve to stand up to me. And yet, here I was, confused and off-balance.

What was wrong with me?

I needed to get a grip, to regain control. But even as I tried to focus on the tasks ahead, all I could think about was Angelica-how her presence stirred something in me that I hadn't felt in years. Something I didn't want to admit, even to myself.

I shook my head, pushing the thoughts away. There was work to be done, and I couldn't afford to be distracted. Not by her. Not by anyone. And certainly not by some vague connection between her that made no sense.

But as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise, I knew deep down that things were already spiraling out of control-and I wasn't sure how to stop it.

Just as I was about to bury myself back into work and forget about all the confusing emotions swirling around, Louis walked in, holding a report in his hand. His expression was the same as always-professional, but there was an undercurrent of something I couldn't quite place. Maybe he was just tired of dealing with all this bullshit too.

"The Weber family is coming to visit next week," Louis announced, his tone flat.

I frowned, irritation bubbling up. The Webers? Again? Why the hell was Alessia inviting her family over when she knew how much I loathed them?

"Put that aside," I said, waving my hand dismissively. But then I paused, my thoughts turning back to Angelica. What if Kevin Weber tried something with her? The bastard was notorious for flirting with the maids, and the thought of him anywhere near Angelica made my blood boil.

"Make sure-" I started, but I found myself staring up at the ceiling, unsure of what to say next. What the hell was happening to me? I didn't do this. I didn't care. But somehow, I couldn't stop myself.

"Make sure to keep an eye on Angel," I finally blurted out.

Louis blinked, clearly taken aback. "Pardon? Who?"

I gritted my teeth, the irritation in my voice unmistakable. "A-N-G-E-L," I spelled out, as if he were a child. He nodded slowly, still looking at me like I'd just grown a second head.

"Want me to bring you reports on her?" he asked, his voice carefully neutral.

"No," I snapped, more forcefully than I intended. "Just make sure when the Weber family is here, she's safe." The words left my mouth before I could stop them, and I immediately regretted how possessive I sounded. What the hell was wrong with me?

Louis looked genuinely surprised now. Sure, he'd been with me since practically before I was born, but even he hadn't seen me care about someone this much, especially not a maid. I was the cold, ruthless Ryan Caesar, and here I was, acting like a damn watchdog over Angelica.

"And readjust Angel's uniform," I added, trying to cover my tracks, but even that sounded off. Louis nodded again, still maintaining his professional demeanor, but I could see the shock in his eyes. He was trying not to show it, but it was there, and it annoyed me.

Louis ducked his head slightly as he left the room, but I could feel his confusion lingering in the air. And honestly, I couldn't blame him. I was just as confused as he was. What had gotten into me? This wasn't like me at all.

But as much as I tried to push the thoughts away, the image of Angelica kept creeping back into my mind. The idea of Kevin Weber anywhere near her made me want to break something. Maybe it was just my instinct to protect what was mine-or maybe it was something more.

I didn't know, and I wasn't sure I wanted to find out. But one thing was clear: this was far from over.