Chapter 38: Finding Thanos

Following Thanos's victory, the surviving Avengers on Earth, completely defeated, returned to the Avengers Compound to do whatever they could to prevent the damage from Thanos' actions from becoming too great. They also started planning a retaliation against Thanos and, if possible, undo his actions, using space scans and satellites to hunt him down but finding nothing that would lead them to the Mad Titan.  Along the way, they retrieved Nick Fury's Transmitter Pager in Atlanta, which apparently was sending a call to someone. Second later, the pager turns off. On a computer, the numbers continues to rise as the global death toll reaches 3.2 billion.

Steve: This is a nightmare.

Natasha: I've had better nightmares.

Rhodey walks in.

Rhodey: Hey. So that thing just stopped doing whatever the hell it was doing.

Rhodey, Y/N, Romanoff, and Rogers head to the chamber housing the transmitter device, where Bruce is analyzing it.

Natasha: What have we got?

Bruce: Whatever the signal is sending, it finally creeped off.

Steve: I thought we bypassed the battery.

Rhodey: We did. It's still plugged in, it just... it just stopped.

Steve: Reboot and send the signal again.

Banner: We don't even know what this is.

Natasha: Fury did. Just do it, please. You tell me the second you get a signal. I want to know who's on the other end of that thing.

As Romanoff turns around, she finds herself face to face with Carol Danvers.

Carol: Where's Fury?

Upon meeting Captain Marvel, the Avengers had her search for Tony Stark, who had been stuck in space with Nebula in the Benatar.

Steve is holding a blade, having just shaved off his beard. He sighs and looks into a side mirror. The mirror suddenly starts shaking, slowly at first, and then severely. In the yard of the Avengers Compound, Steve, Natasha, Y/N, Bruce and Rhodey walking out looking at the Benatar carried by Carol as she lands the spacecraft. The landing gears deploy as they touch down. The entry hatch opens, and Tony and Nebula walk out, Tony being supported by Nebula. Steve runs to Tony to help him stand up. Tony grips Steve's arm as he joins him. Y/N runs up and hugs his sister.

Tony: Couldn't stop him.

Steve: Neither could I.

Tony: I lost the kid.

Steve: Tony, we lost.

Tony: Is, uh...? 

Tony struggles to ask about Pepper.

Pepper: Oh, my God! Oh, my God! 

She and Tony embrace.

Tony: It's okay.

Rocket Raccoon sits down with Y/N and Nebula and takes their hand, all silently mourning their losses. In the Avengers Compound. The heroes are sitting in a living room area. Tony is sitting at a table, getting blood for healing. A holographic casualty report lists the names and faces of those lost to the Decimation.

Rhodey: It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth.

Natasha: World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did... he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures.

Tony: Where is he now? Where?

Steve: We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through.

Thor is sitting on a bench, deep in thought.