Lord Ross

I didn't have to wait long for Lady Yolanda to visit me after receiving my letter. We planned to meet a day later.  Vivian had gone to work and Elaine bathed Mother. When I offered to help, Elaine pushed me out of the room and told me to wait for our guests. 

When the Vann siblings arrived after lunch, Emily brought them to the drawing room where the twins ran up to Christopher. 

Most of the furniture had been sold to cover some costs but we had retained a few for visitors. The curtains hadn't been changed in a while. The faded color stood out against the dark color of the carpet. Even the piano hadn't been excluded. Where it once sat, the children played with a deck of cards, "Magic" as Christopher called it.

Yolanda and I sat on the only couch with a table in front of it. Emily had served us tea. 

"Ava, what exactly do you want me to do?" Yolanda asked. She nibbled on the sweet cookies she'd brought.

Sighing, I sipped my tea. In my elated state, I hadn't thought of a decent plan.

"We need to gather the ladies," I explained. "We'll get everyone's help to deliver the care packages."

"You said Sister Tucker was to send an invitation."

"I also want to include Lord Nightingale."

Yolanda gave me a look. "So, you want me to invite him?"

"And Delilah," I added. "She and Christopher can meet and become friends."

She frowned. "I'm not following."

I scooted closer. "If Delilah is invited then, Lord Nightingale has to accompany her as a guardian."

"And you want to see him using our siblings as an excuse."

I opened my mouth and then closed it. "When you put it that way, it sounds terrible."

"Why don't you ask him instead? Besides, we'll meet during the day. Delilah will be asleep. Younglings can't remain awake during the day."

I hadn't thought about that. It didn't sound like Yolanda wanted to know what else I had in mind.

"What am I supposed to do?" I whined.

Yolanda sipped from her teacup before placing it down. "Do you mean to court him? Despite your family's trouble?"

I made a face. To an outsider, I would only court Lord Nightingale because he had money and we didn't. Yolanda knew of our troubles - not because I told her. Everyone in Tarryn knew.

"You know it's not because of that."

"I know, but will your brother think like that?"

"Charles respects my decision."

"Is that why he grounded you not so long ago?"

Again, she was right. Not got past her.

"What should I do?"

Yolanda sat back in her couch and crossed her arms. "Make sure you and Lord Nightingale are on the same page. Does he want to court you too? Is this a fling? Are you going to pursue this relationship seriously?"

"That's why I wanted to invite - "

Yolanda shook her head as I tried to speak. "Let me break it down. First, tell your brother what you intend to do. Second, reject Lord Ross. Last, speak with Lord Nightingale."

I turned away. She made it sound so easy.

"I don't know how," I confessed.

Yolanda smiled gently. "It might not be easy," she began, "but nothing worthwhile ever is. It's a gamble."