A Surprise Visit

Emily took me to the drawing room. Jonna waited outside dabbing his forehead with a handkerchief.

"What happened?" I asked.

"A representative from the Bank, Mr. Williams insisted on talking with Master Charles," he said.

I frowned. "Did we have prior notice?"

"No, my lady."

"How long has Elaine been talking to him?"

"Not too long," he replied.

I hesitated before asking, "Where is Vivian?"

"She went out, m'lady," Emily said.

Trying to adjust my facial expression, I opened the door to the drawing room. Mr. Williams was a tall man who oozed self-importance. When I walked in, he gave me a quick look before ignoring me completely. Now, that is just rude. Off the one side, Jonna stood by the door.

"Hello Mr. Williams," I said politely. "My name is Avaline Stark. It's my understanding you believe you have business with us?"

Elaine stood as I approached the seating area. She grabbed my arm.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

Smiling at her, I pulled her to the couch and sat. Tea had been given to our guests. Judging by Elaine's tea, she hadn't drunk any.

"As I said before, I'm here for the master of the house."

Automatically, I clenched my jaw. "Considering your visit was unexpected you will not find him here today. Perhaps following proper protocol might allow you some time with him."

Mr. Williams didn't like that. He sat up straighter.

"I will wait," he said.

"No," I told him, gripping my dress. "I'm afraid you won't."

He gaped at my boldness. "To think I'm being received with such rudeness. I will not move until I've spoken with your brother. Your house and its belongings are at stake and I won't sit here being treated in this manner."

Elaine gripped my arm. "Avaline, apologize at once. It's not befitting of a lady to speak to their guest in such a manner."

I looked at Elaine and forced a polite smile. It wasn't her fault he was acting with such rudeness. To Mr. Williams, I said, "I believe it's quite rude to show up where you aren't invited or expected. Not only that, you threatened to take away my home under a loan contract with the bank which I might say, you aren't in charge.

"I wonder what Mr. Ulysses would think if his colleague is trying to manage his contracts. And I do believe all the payments on the loan are up to date so you have no business here unless you're trying to get bribed."

Mr. Williams's face turned red. Sputtering, he rose from his seat. "How dare you, you wench?! I will not stand for your slander and insults!"

I swallowed the string of curses on my tongue and forced myself to stay seated.

Elaine rose to her feet, bowing. "Please excuse her," my sister-in-law began. "We will pay -"

"No, we will not," I told her firmly. I took a deep breath. "So you see, Mr. Williams, we don't have time for you. Please leave before your manager gets wind of this. And since we're on this topic, it was agreed that any harassment on the bank's part would null and void the contract so you've just caused the bank a lot of money. Good day."

I turned to Jonna. "Escort Mr. Williams out. He won't make a fuss."

"This will not end like this!" Mr. Williams fumed.