Greetings from the Sea

"Mother, it was like a dream."

Sighing, I leaned against the couch. The darkness of the room made me feel drowsy. Even the warmth from the fireplace had my eyelids drooping. Mother always liked it warm. Light perspiration clung to my forehead, I had to keep wiping it away with Lord Nightingale's handkerchief. 

"The way my arm fit against his and how he was so attentive. I didn't even have to say anything. He already knew what to do."

Even after Lady Poppy had arrived, he was always one step ahead. When the children wanted to participate in making paper lanterns for Luna, despite the long line, he had supplies ready for them.

"I wished we would have stayed longer."

Snuggling into the cushions, I looked over at the bed. Mother had dozed off holding Father's portrait. Stretching, I stood and walked over to her. I unfurled the blanket at the foot of the bed and laid it across her. She couldn't sleep without something covering her.

As I finished, there was a knock and Emily entered. She carried a letter in her hand.

"For me? "I asked before she could speak.

What did Lord Nightingale have to say? Grabbing the letter, I looked at it and my face fell. Instead, it turned into knots in the pit of my stomach.

"M'lady?" Emily asked. "Is it grave news?"

I stared at the name Adam Ross. To think he had sent a letter after all this time. I took the letter to the couch, sat, and opened it. It was dated two months ago.

Lady Stark,

I am writing to you on the sea. I'm set to land in Vallone within two months if the weather holds. My family were saddened about my departure but I assure you, it doesn't diminish their excitement for a partnership. There are many things to discuss with Lord Stark.

I hope to see you soon,

Lord Ross

A sudden shiver passed through my body. His words left me cold. He was practically already here. How long did that leave me to answer Charles's question?

Feeling a headache, I rubbed my temple.

"M'lady?" Emily prompted.

"Has Charles received a letter as well?" I asked.

"There was only one."

I folded the letter and slipped it inside the envelope.

"Has Vivian returned?"

"No. She mentioned staying out late."

I tried to smile at her good fortune. At least she could see her crush at work. Why couldn't I see Lord Nightingale whenever I wished?

Bemoaning my luck, I stood from the couch. "Watch over Mother. I'll return in a few minutes."

With heavy steps, I walked to my room. The house seemed bigger today than it had before. The portraits of our family hung on different walls. How could I live without seeing the faces of my ancestors? Leaving this place . . . I didn't want to think about it.

In the few times I had chatted with Lord Ross, he gave the impression of a good man. He had never crossed any lines or made me uncomfortable. His words were polite and he carried himself like a man with a purpose. Shouldn't I marry a man like him?

Taking a deep breath, I entered my room. At least Charles wouldn't give me away without talking to me first. However, if our financial crisis didn't change, he might not have a choice, and I couldn't blame him.