Dinner with the Starks

From helping Yolanda with the invitations and completing Margie's commission, I didn't have a lot of time to think about the upcoming dinner with Lord Ross. Lord Nightingale only sent messages regarding the care packages. He'd drawn the line. 

Of course, I understood him. He wouldn't be respected if he was seen with an engaged woman. Even though there had never been an official engagement between Lord Ross and I, the fact that a proposal existed was something that couldn't be ignored. I was sure Lord Nightingale knew rumors would harm me more than him. 

Nothing would changed unless I spoke with Lord Ross. It wasn't until the evening of the dinner that I realized, I'd have to talk to him. I'd have to refused him face-to-face. A letter would be too much of an insult especially since he'd done so much for my family. 

"Why can't we go?" Anna whined at my door. Her pale blue pajamas were little too big for her. They used to belong to Brian.

When Charles had told the twins of our outing this evening, neither of them had been happy. Pouting, Anna walked into my room, picking up the fallen ribbons I'd rejected from the floor. Looking down, she gathered them in her arms before winding them into smooth rolls.

As Emily finished tying the back of my dress, I stared at Anna through the floor length mirror.

"It's late," I told her. "You need to be in bed. Vivian will stay with you."

Anna pouted again. "It's not fair. You and Charles get to go everywhere."

"Elaine is coming with us too," I reminded her. "She's the lady of the house. It'll be strange if she didn't come."

Anna huffed and sat on my bed. "Everyone always talks about the fancy restaurant. Won't it be too expensive?"

I turned around to face her. "Lord Ross made the reservation. Otherwise, we would have the meal at home."

"Why do you have to go?"

For once, I wasn't sure how to explain. "Lord Ross and I are going to have a grown-up talk." 

As she finished, Emily  bowed before leaving. At her departure, I sat on the bed next to Anna. She rolled into me and took my hand.

"Are you going to marry him because we're poor?"

I gaped at her and grabbed her shoulders. "Where did you hear this?"

She couldn't meet my gaze. "Vivian sometimes drinks," she began.

My face burned. How could she be so reckless in her drinking? 

"Don't get mad," Anna said, sitting up. "It's just that it's okay if we're poor. I don't want you to leave."

Unable to speak, I embraced her. "You don't have to worry about it," I told her. "I'm not going anywhere."

She looked up at me. "Do you promise?"

I kissed her forehead. "Of course."

"Okay," she sighed. "Can you do me favor? Can you bring me something sweet?"

I smiled. "Yes. I will."

After putting Anna to bed, I met Charles and Elaine downstairs. They sported a blue couple's outfits. No doubt it was a "gift" from Elaine's mother. I had only met the woman once during the marriage talks and she hadn't stopped by since.

Among the gifts Lord Ross had sent had been a few dresses. They were heavier than the ones made locally. Emily had to help me remove some layers before I could wear it.

"Right on time," Charles said. 

"Brother," I said, approaching. "I think it's best to change the lock of the liquor cabinet."