Belle

The noise became louder as I approached. What could it be at this hour? A cat? Taking a deep breath, I grabbed the curtain and pulled it open. Nothing stirred behind the window. Had I imagined it?

Sighing, I loosened my grip on the candlestick.

Just as I was about to relax, a small blob of darkness darted across the window. I yelped and took a step back. That was no cat. It was much smaller. It definitely wasn't a person either.

Swallowing thickly, I approached the window once more. Like before, nothing moved beyond it. Did something need help? Was it hurt?

"This is absurd," I whispered. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

Against my better judgment, I opened the window. As soon as I did, the creature flew into the room.

Shrieking, I fell to the floor covering my head with my arms.

Moments later, Vivian burst into the room.

"What's wrong?" she asked. "I heard screaming."

"I - I don't know. Something flew inside. I think it was a huge rat."

Vivian looked at me. "Do you hear yourself? A rat with wings?"

Sighing, she walked around the room. "There's nothing here."

I lowered my arms. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Now, get up from the floor."

Clearing my throat, I stood.

Vivian walked to the window and closed it. "Why are you opening your window so late at night?"

"I thought I heard something."

"So, you decided to open it? Did it ever occur to you that it could be dangerous?"

"I was curious," I began.

"Avaline, where's your brain gone? You can't be so reckless these days."

My face burned. "I thought something was hurt. Like a cat."

Vivian shook her head. "Please don't worry us. Charles is on his way with Dad's rifle."

"I'm sorry."

She sighed. "Just go to bed."

On her way out, she closed the door.

Alone now, I looked around the room. Had I imagined it? Maybe I should call it a night. I looked down at the candlestick and placed it down on my desk. Out of the corner of my eye, something moved.

Freezing, I gripped the candlestick again. That's when I heard it; chirping sounds. But it didn't make sense for a bird to fly at night.

Then a black furry creature crawled out from underneath my bed. It stared at me with large eyes. As gently as I could, I released the candlestick and approached it.

Kneeling in front of it, I scooped it up in my hands. At a closer look, it was a bat with a silver bow around its neck and a note tied to its foot.

"Where did you come from?" I asked.

Sitting at my desk, I took the note from its leg and placed the bat on my lap. There was no seal of any kind. The note read as follows:

Lady Stark,

I hope this message finds you well. Forgive me for taking the liberty to reach out to you. I noticed your absence at the ball tonight and I feared I wouldn't see you again.

I found our conversation very enjoyable. With this in mind, I've sent a companion, Belle, to deliver this letter to you. For any future correspondence, please feel free to use her.