Sol Church

That evening, I received an invitation from the Church. Charles read the evening newspaper while Vivian read a story to the twins. Elaine sat next to Charles on the couch, her head resting upon his shoulder.

We sat in the drawing room on the first floor. This one had kept most of the decorations. It was the main room we showed to visitors. After receiving the letter from Jonna, I sat by a candlestick holder and read Sister Tucker's handwriting. She used the official letterhead for the invitation.

' . . . on the basis of forming a committee . . .'

The date was set for six days from now. That would be enough time to invite someone to come with me but would Lord Nightingale reply?

"That's concerning," Charles muttered.

"What is?" Elaine asked. She stared at the newspaper.

"The number of patrols around Tarryn are increasing."

Vivian's voice faded and stopped. I turned to Charles. Even the twins looked at our brother with large eyes. Brian's chin trembled.

"Have there been sightings?" I dared to ask.

The air grew heavy. I gripped Sister Tucker's invitation tighter. What if we had to evacuate? Our extended relative lived in the Capital and the only way to get there was by ship. Mother wouldn't make it. We couldn't pay any transportation fees either.

"No," Charles said. "It's a precaution." He cleared his throat. "With the increase of military personnel in Tarryn, it was proposed to use them as a way to reassure the people."

"You mean Lord Nightingale's men," I said.

As they stared at me, my face grew hot.

"It makes sense," I said. "When he retired, men in his company would retire too. While many would return to their covens, some had nowhere to return. Lord Nightingale has been hosting them as his mansion."

Vivian gave me a look.

"He told me," I said in a small voice, "at the festival with Lady Poppy."

"The conversation just came up?" Vivian asked.

I shrugged. "We talked. That's what people do."

"There you have it," Elaine suddenly said. "It'll make the journey to Sol church safer."

Before Vivian could try to ask me anything, I excused myself and went upstairs. I had two letters to write. One for Sister Tucker and another for Lord Nightingale. Belle was absent from my room so I had to send it through regular postage. With any luck, I'd see both of them at the meeting.

Time crawled at a snail's pace before the day of the invitation finally arrived. After breakfast, Yolanda's carriage arrived. The bright morning sun greeted me before hiding behind passing clouds. Yolanda waited inside the carriage in a light pink colored dress. Vivian and Elaine had combined their wardrobes to dress me in a light blue skirt and turtle neck blouse with ruffles along the sleeves.

Once I boarded, the carriage moved.

"Did you manage to do it?"

'It' meant a lot of things. Contemplating my reply, I smoothed out my skirt.

"Is that going to be the first thing you ask?"

Yolanda smiled. "How are you Avaline?"

I rolled my eyes. "I talked to Charles," I admitted, "and Lord Ross happened to be there."

Her eyes widened. "You rejected him?"

My lack of courage weighed on me. "Not directly."

Yolanda shook her head. "What are you waiting for?"