Chapter 5

Ariala -

"Finally," I breathe out, letting go of a breath I didn't even know I was holding since I left home this morning. It was the end of Friday. I had wanted to stay home this week, taking advantage of mom's meltdown a couple days earlier.

Nope. Mom has the will of a tank.

The cold breeze whips at my face, making me shiver, and I hastily try to tuck the loose strands of hair behind my ears. Ugh, I should have grabbed some scrunchies or even a headband before leaving. My hair feels like a wild tornado.

My thoughts travel back to that man's face. My heart was so torn apart, but I didn't want to ask mom about it. I didn't want to see her cry like she did that day. But everything inside my heart told me...told me something wasn't right. This was a game being played. And I was somehow in the middle.

My thoughts disappear as I hear Zia and Yuri laughing behind me, their giggles ringing like tiny bells. I glance back and see them blush a bright cherry red, totally lost in one of those crush conversations that always makes them giddy. I turn and look away.

We haven't talked or even looked at each other since Monday, and surprisingly they even kicked me off our group chat. The one I started.

Whatever.

I headed out through the school gates, making the long way home. I used to go on the bus, but I decided that the quiet walk home by myself is better than listening to the two chicks giggle over some sigma.

Pulling out my phone, I scroll through Spotify and hit play on whatever pops up first. As the familiar notes of 'Alone' start playing, I step out of the school gates. The weight of the day begins to float away with each beat.

"If this night is not forever," I sing along softly, feeling a little lighter as I strut down the street.

"I know I'm not alone!" I belt out, feeling like a pop star as I hit Elm Street, my voice ringing out into the quiet afternoon.

For a moment, everything feels okay.

But then a weird thought sneaks into my head-why do I feel like someone is following me? I glance over my shoulder.

Nothing looks out of place. Just cars rolling on by... Wait-there's this big, black van that's hanging back a few yards. The windows are so tinted I can't see a thing inside.

"Whatever, Ari," I mutter, shaking my head and trying to dismiss it.

It's probably just a coincidence or someone looking for directions.

But still, I pick up the pace. My house is only two blocks away, so no big deal, right?

The moment I glance back again, that feeling of dread crashes into me.

Holy crap!

The van is still there, and this time it's screeching towards me!

That's when I decide it's time to run. Like, full-on sprint.

I can hear the tires screeching behind me, the sound making my heart race faster than I've ever felt. Each thump of my heart matches the pounding of my feet against the pavement as I dash forward, panic fueling my legs.

I sprint like I'm running for my life, desperate to reach my home before it's too late.

Then, I trip, my body crashing against the ground. For a moment, it felt like the whole earth was spinning around me.

I sit up and turn around, to see three men come out, their faces identically stern. My breath as coming out in sharp, ragged huffs as I froze, my eyes wide with fear.