Chapter 4

After several weeks, the news traveled to some of the nearby villages about the "witch in the woods," who was teaching children and revealing nature's 'hidden' secrets.

Somewhat skeptical, somewhat curious — everybody had seen some change in those few children who visited me.

Their walk down the path was different, knowing eyes shone with wonder.

One balmy Sunday in the summer is when I first learned about this fresh physician on the scene.

Lily and I were out back by the herb garden, she was eager to learn everything she could about what medication came from each plant that Grandma used.

"Miss Hazel," Lily said, her fingers digging into the black earth around a marigold, "did you hear about that new doctor? My mama says he's from a faraway city.

This got an eyebrow raised out of me. "Is that so? I suppose he better get ready for ranch livin'. City living is a distant memory around here."

I had no idea, and I mean no inkling.. how that new arrival would affect my peaceful little life in the forest to a new level when I met Dr. James Thornton some days afterward.

I was in town exchanging some of my herbal remedies with the general store when a tall, fine-looking man came walking.

He had a well-groomed head of salt-and-pepper hair, and the cut of his clothes was plain but urban.

I caught his eye across the store and I swear for a second I felt that old feeling.

Curiosity, perhaps. Or maybe something more.

He stepped forward, hand extended — "Hazel? Can't say I haven't heard about you."

He had a very firm handshake, I thought; "Positive I hope," I intentionally quipped with a knowing smile.

He laughed, and he was a rich laugh that seemed to fill the tiny shop. "Mostly good, yes." I can't imagine why some people think you're a witch. They're often more brooding by nature."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Mmm, once again; well, I will let you be the judge of that."

And from that moment on, Dr. Thornton–James insisted I address him by this name–became a regular visitor at my cabin in the woods.

Initially, he came through his job as if to discuss how I used herbs, pretending it was some kind of curiosity for professional know-how.

But as time went on, it was obvious that he was also interested in the non-medicinal aspects of life.

One night, I invited him to my cottage as we sat on the porch watching the fireflies twinkle in harmony with twilight, James turned towards me and I saw a turned mind over his face.

'Hazel,' he said, his voice small. 'I need to tell you something I Had no illusions of grandeur when I arrived in this town. But your role with this forest is making talk around in these hills. Do you know what they think of you?"

Something in my chest skipped a beat, and it was an emotion I remembered having rarely felt. "And why's that, James?" I said, trying not to make my voice shake.

He took my hand carefully "I think you know why."

The forest seemingly held its breath around us, the common sounds of night fading into noise no more.

I was almost young again, back when I came to these woods with an easy heart and open eyes.

But reality quickly set in. Ripping my hand back, I stood up. James, I...I dunno if this is a well-thought-out move "This is my life in the forest of my ancestors. You live in a town with your patients — We're from different worlds and your considerate words don't touch me so."