Chapter 12

Amara sighed heavily, staring at the ceiling as she lay in bed. It had been a week since Subaru's unexpected question, and her mind was still a turbulent sea of emotions. Her feelings for Subaru were undeniable, but the implications of their potential relationship left her anxious and uncertain.

"I wish I could contact my family," Amara muttered to herself, her voice barely a whisper in the darkness.

As Amara's words hung in the air, she felt a sudden chill run down her spine. Before she could react, a shadow seemed to detach itself from the darkness, materializing into the form of Ayato.

"And tell them what?" he asked, "That you've been lured into a trap and now are the prey of vampires?" he finished saying, his tone mocking.

"T-That's none of your business!" Amara countered, her voice wavering despite her best efforts to appear brave.

"It is my business if it involves one of us," he warned, his voice low and dangerous. "But, since you can't contact anyone, I don't have anything to worry about," Ayato chimed in a more cheerful tone.

"Anyways," Amara changed the subject, "What are you doing here?" she wanted to know, but Ayato just looked at her with a predatory gaze. "You already know the answer to that," Ayato purred, his voice dripping with malice, while a smile danced along his lips.

Amara recoiled, her heart racing as she took in that dangerous look in his eyes. "I'm not yours to feed on," she spat, her voice laced with defiance, but Ayato just let out a cruel laugh. "What," he wondered aloud, his voice laced with amusement, "Did ya think I'd just let you get away and run over to Subaru, simply because you chose him? No. As long as you reside in this mansion, you belong to all of us."

As Ayato approached her, Amara's mind raced, frantically searching for a way to escape. Her eyes darted around the room, looking for anything she could use to defend herself.

"Don't make this harder on yourself," Ayato taunted, his voice dripping with malice, "keep this up, and I'll get angry."

"Stay away from me!" Amara cried, her voice trembling with fear and anger. Her gaze landed on a chair in the corner of the room. With no time to think, she lunged for it, grabbing it.

Ayato's eyes widened in surprise as Amara lifted the chair, its legs pointing in Ayato's direction, creating a makeshift barrier between them. "What do you think you're doing?" he asked, his tone a mix of amusement and annoyance.

"I won't let you touch me," Amara declared, her grip tight on the chair.

Ayato chuckled, his confidence unshaken. "Do you really think that will stop me?" he asked, his voice low and dangerous.

Amara knew she was outmatched, but she refused to back down. With a defiant yell, she swung the chair at Ayato, aiming for his head. Ayato dodged the attack with ease, but the distraction gave Amara the opening she needed.

She bolted for the door, her heart pounding in her chest. Ayato growled in frustration, lunging after her. Just as he was about to grab her, Amara swung the door open, bolting out into the hallway. Ayato stumbled, losing his balance a bit as he had misted to grab her. He clicked his tongue in annoyance and frustration, as he watched her run. However, a smile crept around his lips, his ever scheming mind coming up with a plan, and he disappeared back into the shadows.

Amara ran and ran, trying to recall the layout of the mansion as she went. It's not like she had actively mapped out any escape plans, but recalling where everything was did help to sort of come up with one on the spot.

She recalled where Subaru's room was, as she went there a few times to go get him for dinner, on Reiji's request. So, without thinking too much about it, she traced back the route to his room. As she started to recognize some things in the hallway that indicated she was getting close, she felt a sense of relief wash over her.

Amara's heart pounded in her chest as she reached Subaru's room. Without hesitation, she grasped the doorknob, hoping it would be unlocked. To her relief, it turned easily in her hand. As she burst into the room, her eyes quickly scanned the area, searching for any sign of Subaru.

Instead, her gaze landed on the large, ornate coffin in the center of the room. It was slightly ajar, the lid cracked open just enough to reveal a sliver of darkness within. Amara hesitantly approached, a shiver running down her spine as she called out, "Subaru-kun?"

For a moment, there was only silence. Then, the lid cracked open, and Subaru's sleepy face emerged from the shadows. "You?" he asked, his voice groggy with sleep. "What're you doing here?"

Relief flooded through Amara as she saw his concerned expression. "It's Ayato," she whispered, her voice trembling. "He's after me."

Understanding dawned in Subaru's eyes, and he climbed out of the coffin, pulling Amara inside with him. He closed the lid back up, completely this time. "Don't make a sound," he urged, his voice low and Amara nodded, even though she couldn't see him in the pure darkness inside the coffin. However, she could feel him hover above her, trying his best not to crush her under his weight in the confined space.

The silence in the room was deafening as Subaru and Amara remained hidden inside the coffin. They could hear Ayato's footsteps as he approached the door and knocked.

"Subaru," Ayato called out, his voice laced with mock concern, "I know you're in there. Just hand that Konagona over already. Laito has had a taste of her too, right?"

Amara felt Subaru's body tense above her as he held his breath. She closed her eyes, willing herself to remain still and quiet. After a few tense moments, they heard Ayato sigh in frustration.

"Fine, have it your way," he muttered, his footsteps fading as he left to his own room.

Subaru waited a few more moments before cautiously opening the coffin lid. The sudden rush of cool air was a relief, and Amara took a deep breath, her body trembling from the adrenaline. 

As the two emerged from the coffin, Subaru turned to face Amara, his expression serious. "You can't stay in your room tonight," he told her. "It's not safe."

Amara nodded, her heart still racing from the close call. "I-I know," she stammered, "but where can I go?"

Subaru thought for a moment before a determined look crossed his face. "You can stay here," he declared. "I'll protect you."

Amara's eyes widened in surprise, but before she could protest, Subaru guided her back into the coffin with him. He laid down first, letting Amara lay on top of him.

"Try to get some rest," he said gently, closing the lid again, but not fully, letting a sliver of light seep into the darkness.

Despite the fear and uncertainty still lingering within her, Amara couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort in Subaru's presence. She settled atop of him, her eyes drifting to the crack he left open as faint sunlight streamed in through it.

In the quiet darkness of Subaru's coffin, the two remained, strangely comfortable within the small confined space they shared. Amara eventually found herself drifting off to sleep, lulled by the steady rhythm of Subaru's breathing and the knowledge that, for now, she was safe.