Lost in the moment

Paige's POV:

It's my birthday today, and the team has been relentless in their efforts to celebrate. It's a little overwhelming but in a good way. I'm grateful for their persistence in making me feel special, and today has been filled with surprises and laughter. After the party and all the festivities, I find myself craving a moment of calm.

Maya and I slip outside for some fresh air. We sit on the steps leading up to the front of the house, the night air cool against our skin. The house behind us is alive with the sounds of our teammates, but here, it's just the two of us, and it feels like a peaceful escape from the chaos.

"I can't believe how much has changed since last year," Maya says softly, her gaze fixed on the stars above. "It's like a completely different world now."

"Yeah," I reply, leaning back on my hands. "I never thought I'd be where I am now, but I'm glad I am."

Maya glances at me, her eyes reflecting the soft light of the porch lamp. "I'm glad too. You're doing amazing, Paige. I've seen how hard you've been working, and it's inspiring."

I smile, feeling a mix of gratitude and something deeper. "Thanks, Maya. It means a lot to hear that from you."

There's a moment of silence between us, comfortable and warm. The connection we've shared has always been there, but lately, it feels like it's been growing stronger. I can't deny the feelings I have for her, and tonight, with the stars overhead and the quiet of the night surrounding us, it feels like the perfect time to share them.

As I turn to face her, our eyes lock, and the world seems to narrow down to just the two of us. I can feel the pull between us, the electricity in the air. It's like we're both on the brink of something—something significant.

"Maya," I start, my voice barely above a whisper.

Before I can say more, a burst of noise interrupts us. Nika, Kk, Ice, and Aubrey come rushing outside, their laughter and chatter breaking the spell between us. They're animated, clearly having a good time and not quite ready to let the night end.

"Hey, Paige! Maya!" Nika calls out, waving energetically. "We thought you two were lost! Come on, join us for the final round of birthday shenanigans!"

I look at Maya, her face reflecting a mix of surprise and disappointment. She bites her lip, and I can't help but smile at the way her eyes are still locked on mine.

"Looks like we're needed," Maya says, her voice tinged with reluctance.

"Yeah, I guess so," I reply, trying to ignore the way my heart sinks a little.

We stand up, brushing off the steps as the others gather around us, their excitement palpable. Nika throws an arm around my shoulders, her grin wide. "Happy birthday, Paige! We saved the best part for last!"

Kk and Ice are busy setting up some kind of game, while Aubrey is still laughing at something Nika said. The energy is infectious, and despite the interruption, I find myself getting caught up in the excitement again.

As we head back inside, Maya's hand lightly brushes against mine, a touch that sends a shiver down my spine. I glance at her, and she gives me a small, knowing smile. The moment we almost had is still hanging in the air, a promise of what might come next.

The rest of the night is filled with laughter, games, and a sense of camaraderie that makes me feel incredibly lucky. Maya stays close by, and though we don't get a chance to have that quiet, intimate moment again, I can feel the connection between us growing stronger.

As the party winds down and the team starts to head home, I find myself reflecting on the evening. It's been a perfect mix of celebration and connection, and despite the interruptions, I feel a renewed sense of hope.

Maya and I might not have had our moment tonight, but the night wasn't a total loss. It's clear that there's something special between us, something that's worth waiting for. And as I look around at my teammates, my friends, and think about the future, I'm filled with a sense of anticipation for what's to come.