7. THE COMMANDER

____________________________

   Far from deserted, the streets of King's Landing opened up like a miserable spectacle under the shadow of night. Few stars shone in the sky, and for the most part the light of torches or the occasional fire was not enough to illuminate all the alleys of the city. And yet, that macabre, silent air was continually torn apart by boisterous laughter, inaudible screams or out-of-tune songs.

It was there, passing from shadow to shadow, with the sound of her footsteps pounding on the cobblestones, that Naeryssa Redfyre moved swiftly, wrapped in a black cloak. She cast continuous glances behind her, her cobalt eyes jumping from one point to another in a frenzied movement, as her breathing became more and more laboured.

The ringing of a bell gave her another jolt; she began to run as if death was at her heels. The idea soon turned out to be foolish and reckless, for the capital was not a vast, man-free valley, but rather a labyrinth of endless streets crowded with very irritable people. She slipped for a moment into the petticoat covered by the dark cloak and a huff left her lips. 

Some laughter echoed behind her back and she started running again. There was something thrilling, a vivacity, in the knowledge that she was for the first time left to her own devices. Naeryssa spent most of her days locked in the fortress, between the crimson walls she always found a way to entertain herself. Very rarely was she left alone, between guards and ladies escorting her there was always someone at her side, yet never before did she find herself thinking of Brienne, of Loraine, of how their presence was not as obvious as she had imagined.

A bright light, in the inexorable darkness of the night, blinded her vision with its orange glow. She brought a hand to her eyes instinctively, when the din of voices and armour hit her full force, reviving her like a bucket of ice water. "Search in all directions! It is a direct order from the king!" She left behind her the echoing voice of the king's guards. "Someone at the harbour too!" She put as much distance as she could between that barking of orders and herself, rolling her eyes at the idea that she could simply board a ship and head out to sea.

With her mind distracted, swirling with possible scenarios, it was easy for the princess to stumble back into the white fabric of her night robe. A few awful words left her lips, fearing she would end up face down on the floor. Before that could happen, she collided with a slender, curvaceous and less clothed body than was normally acceptable.

A cry of outrage rose in the air as the woman affirmed the princess's arms to avoid losing her balance. "Why don't you watch where you put your-" A harsh voice reached her ears as dark eyes examined her from head to toe. A few blonde locks fell back onto her forehead, no longer eclipsed by the hood, and Naeryssa found herself staring into the wide-open eyes of the woman in front of her, who watched her uneasily. "You...are the princess?" the feeble voice asked, but soon became louder and more confident. "You are the princess, the bastard" Naeryssa shook her head and tried to escape his grasp but would not let go. Those dark, hollow, overly expressionless eyes traced every mark on her face and this made her feel uncomfortable, like a tapestry hanging on the wall exposed to the greedy sight of passers-by.