SIX

CHAPTER SIX | THE NIGHT OF THE COMET

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Something always brings me back to you

It never takes too long

Gravity | Sara Bareilles

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Mystic Falls, 994 A

Mystic Falls, 994 A.D

He had been warned to stay away.

The comet was an ill omen, and he was to stay inside incase evil should take hold of him.

Despite this, Klaus had ventured out into the woods, following the comet's path as it streaked across the sky. He knew the beating he risked as punishment if his father found out he'd disobeyed him, but he risked it anyways. He wasn't sure why his, but he felt drawn to this comet. He would gladly take the beating, if only he could get closer. He was almost a man now, he had to stand up to Mikael sometime.

Even through the thickness of the trees in the forest, Klaus could see the glow of the comet twinkling above. Autumn was creeping in, the air brisk, nipping at his cheeks and fingers. One hand hovered close to the small knife at his belt, brought with him in the event any animals lurked in the woods. It wasn't the moonstime yet, so he had no fear of the men changing into wolves. 

"Niklaus!" His brother's voice sounded through the darkness. "Niklaus, where are you?" Elijah called.

He deliberated over whether to hide from Elijah. He wasn't finished chasing the comet yet, and he wasn't sure whether Elijah meant to fetch him home for a beating from Mikael. He opened his mouth to call out to his brother when a burst of green light came above. Klaus' eyes widened as he stared into the sky, watching a green spark shoot across the black, following the path of the comet before exploding in a pool of dazzling light, the green spark plummeting towards the ground.

Klaus was off in a second, hearing Elijah rustling in the leaves behind him, hot on his heels. He reached the end of the forest, coming to a clearing. The green light was gone now, faded in a large hole in the earth, smoke rising from it. Elijah came to a sudden halt beside Klaus, the pair staring at the giant crater.

"What do you think it is?" Klaus whispered, inching forward.

"Niklaus, don't -" He tried to pull his younger brother back, but the boy moved to the edge of the crater, peering inside.