Chapter 1- New Beginnings

Aang and Katara stood on the balcony of the Jasmine Dragon teahouse in Ba Sing Se, their lips gently meeting in a sweet, deep kiss. It was a kiss that spoke of all the emotions they had kept hidden over the past year—the fear, the longing, the hope. As their lips parted, they lingered close, their foreheads touching, breath mingling in the quiet intimacy of the moment.

Aang's heart raced, a thousand thoughts flooding his mind. "So, what now?" he whispered, his voice barely audible, laced with uncertainty. He wasn't sure what this kiss meant for them, for their future. Of course, he was overjoyed, he had been waiting for this kiss since the moment she freed him from the iceberg. But a seed of doubt took root in his mind. What if she regretted it? What if this was just a fleeting moment for her, something she would brush off once the weight of their shared responsibilities settled back in?

Katara blushed, her cheeks warming with a mix of emotions she couldn't quite name. What could she say to him? How could she explain the turmoil that had been swirling within her heart for so long? She couldn't deny it, she hadn't loved him from the very beginning. There had been moments when a flutter in her chest hinted at something more, but those feelings had been fleeting, easy to dismiss amid the chaos of their journey.

It wasn't until Azula's lightning struck him down, until he lay lifeless in her arms, that she truly understood the depth of her feelings for him. The fear of losing him forever had ripped through her, tearing down the walls she had built around her heart. But even then, she had kept those feelings buried deep, knowing that Aang needed to stay focused on his mission—to defeat the Fire Lord and bring peace to the world. She couldn't afford to be a distraction.

But now? Now the Fire Lord was defeated, and the world was safe—for the moment, at least. Nothing was holding her back from telling Aang how she truly felt. Or was there? She hesitated, her mind a whirlwind of doubts. What if her feelings overwhelmed him? What if, after everything they had been through, he didn't feel the same way? The thought of risking their friendship, of complicating the bond they had built over so many battles, made her stomach churn.

But as she looked into his eyes, so full of hope and love, she knew she couldn't keep running from her feelings. She had to take the leap, to trust that whatever happened next, they would face it together—just as they had faced every challenge before.

Katara took a deep breath, summoning the courage to voice the question that had been weighing on her heart. She locked her gaze with Aang's, her blue eyes searching his for any sign of hesitation. "Aang, would be my boyfriend?" she asked softly, her voice tinged with both hope and fear.

For a moment, there was silence, a silence that seemed to stretch on forever. Then, Aang took a small step back, his expression unreadable as he looked deeply into her eyes. "No" he whispered.

The word echoed in Katara's mind like a thunderclap. No? He said no? Her heart felt as though it had shattered into a million pieces, the shards cutting deep into her soul. Tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over as she struggled to understand what had just happened. How could he say no? After everything they had been through, after the kiss they had just shared, how could he possibly reject her now?

But before she could voice her despair, Aang quickly continued, his own eyes wide with panic as he saw the heartbreak written across her face. "No, no, that's not what I meant" he stammered, taking a step closer again. "It's not supposed to happen like this. I should be the one asking you that question".

Confusion clouded Katara's features as she tried to grasp what he was saying. Why did it matter who asked the question? Hadn't she just made her feelings clear? Aang, sensing her bewilderment, took her hands in his, his touch gentle yet firm, as if anchoring her to the moment.