Chapter 2: The First Encounter

Isabella barely slept that night. Every time she closed her eyes, the conversation with her parents replayed in her mind. An arranged marriage. To Sandro Marcos, of all people. She knew the Marcos name, of course. Everyone in the business and political world did. They were a powerhouse family, controlling vast assets across various industries. But what did she know about Sandro, really? He was the older son, not the heir—that title belonged to Vincent Marcos. Sandro was known for his sharp business acumen and cold, distant demeanor. Beyond that, he was a mystery.

As the first light of dawn filtered through her bedroom curtains, Isabella finally gave up on sleep. She rose from bed and wandered to the window, gazing out at the city skyline. Manila was just beginning to wake up, the streets below slowly filling with the hum of morning activity. Her mind raced with the possibilities and consequences of the path laid out before her. How could she meet Sandro Marcos with an open mind? How could she possibly make this marriage work, even if she agreed to it?

By the time breakfast rolled around, Isabella had resolved to face the situation head-on. She wasn't going to let herself be bullied or manipulated into anything. If she was going to marry this man, she would do it on her terms.

She found her parents in the dining room, already seated and sipping coffee. Her father looked relieved to see her, while her mother's expression was more guarded.

"Good morning," Isabella greeted them, her tone neutral.

"Good morning, Izzy," James replied, a small, hopeful smile on his face.

"Morning," Vivian said curtly, clearly bracing herself for another confrontation.

Isabella took a seat at the table, where a spread of traditional Filipino breakfast items awaited: garlic fried rice, longganisa, salted eggs, and fresh fruit. She picked at her food absentmindedly, her appetite dulled by the anxiety gnawing at her insides.

"When is he coming?" Isabella asked after a few minutes of silence, breaking the tension hanging over the table.

"Dinner, at 7 PM," Vivian replied, her voice steady. "I've made arrangements for a private meeting afterward. Just the two of you."

Isabella nodded, not trusting herself to speak. The reality of the situation was closing in on her like a vice. She needed to stay calm, to approach this evening as she would any important business meeting: with confidence and clear intentions.

James cleared his throat, drawing her attention. "Izzy, I know this isn't what you wanted. Believe me, we understand how difficult this is for you. But I just want you to know that your mother and I only want what's best for you. We wouldn't have agreed to this if we didn't think it would be a good match."

"Dad," Isabella began, struggling to keep her voice even, "I'm doing this because I love you both. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. I'm going to meet him tonight, but I'm not making any promises beyond that."

Her father's face softened. "That's all we ask, Izzy. Just give it a chance."

The day dragged on as Isabella tried to keep herself busy. She buried herself in work, reviewing contracts, answering emails, and attending virtual meetings. Yet no matter how hard she tried to focus, her mind kept wandering back to Sandro Marcos. What kind of man would she be meeting tonight? Would he be as cold and calculating as his reputation suggested? Or was there more to him than met the eye?

As the afternoon sun dipped lower in the sky, Isabella realized she needed to start getting ready. She couldn't afford to look anything less than perfect. This was, after all, the first time she would be meeting the man her parents wanted her to marry.