Chapter 4: Unraveling the Layers

The days following her dinner with Alexander were filled with a peculiar sense of anticipation. Isabella found herself thinking about him more often than she cared to admit. Every time her phone buzzed, she secretly hoped it was him, even though she told herself it was just because of the marriage arrangement and not anything more. But deep down, she knew there was more to it—an unsettling attraction that she couldn't easily dismiss.

Isabella spent the weekend with her family, where the topic of the upcoming marriage was unavoidable. Her parents were clearly pleased with how things were progressing, though her mother's satisfaction was tinged with a hint of relief, as if a burden had been lifted off her shoulders.

"You and Alexander make such a good match," Vivian said over Sunday lunch, her tone almost triumphant. "He's handsome, successful, and from a respectable family. What more could you want?"

Isabella forced a smile, poking at her food. "I guess we'll see, Mom. It's still early."

James, her father, who had been quietly observing, placed a hand on hers. "Izzy, we just want you to be happy. We know this isn't what you planned, but sometimes life takes us on unexpected paths."

Isabella nodded, appreciating her father's softer approach. "I know, Dad. And I'm trying to make the best of it."

"That's all we ask," he said gently. "Just give it a chance."

Isabella spent the rest of the weekend trying to unwind, but her mind kept wandering back to Alexander. What kind of life did he live when he wasn't meeting potential wives or closing business deals? What did he do for fun, if anything? There was a mystery to him that both intrigued and frustrated her.

On Monday morning, she arrived at her office to find a small box sitting on her desk, wrapped in elegant gold paper. A single white card rested on top. Isabella's heart skipped a beat as she picked it up, recognizing the neat handwriting.

**Isabella,**

**I hope this brightens your day. Looking forward to seeing you soon.**

**- Alexander**

She carefully unwrapped the box, revealing a delicate bracelet inside. It was simple yet exquisite—a thin gold chain with a single diamond charm that sparkled in the morning light. Isabella stared at it for a moment, her emotions a whirlwind of surprise and confusion. She wasn't sure what to make of the gesture. It was thoughtful, yes, but it also raised more questions. Why would Alexander send her such a gift? Was it simply a part of the courtship, or was there something more behind it?

Isabella slid the bracelet onto her wrist, the cool metal warming against her skin. She admired how it looked, then shook her head, chiding herself for reading too much into it. It was just a bracelet, she told herself. A kind gesture, nothing more.

The rest of the day passed in a blur, her thoughts constantly drifting back to the bracelet and what it might mean. She tried to focus on her work, but her concentration was shattered when, around mid-afternoon, her phone buzzed with another message from Alexander.

**Alexander:** *Would you like to join me for dinner tomorrow night? There's something I'd like to show you.*

Isabella stared at the message, her mind racing. Was this another business-like meeting, or something more personal? After a moment's hesitation, she replied.

**Isabella:** *I'd like that. Where should I meet you?*

**Alexander:** *I'll pick you up at 7 PM.*

The following day, Isabella found herself getting ready for dinner with Alexander once again. She chose a simple yet elegant dress—a deep burgundy wrap dress that complemented her complexion and brought out the warmth in her eyes. She kept her jewelry minimal, letting the bracelet Alexander had given her take center stage.