Ch. 8: A Little Fixer-upper

Getting the place leased, Fiona realized, was just the start. With their work cut out for them, she knew she was going to have to get this place up to par in record time, and she needed to pull in every favor she could. She looked at her list of contacts she had dialed in on her arcane relay, a sort of limited magical communicator, and sprawled out on her bed. Tucker was curled up at her feet, kneading the blankets softly.

She did have the aAdventurers Guild to call on. She had more than a few favors she could call in, and this was super easy compared to fighting demon lords, monster slaying, or escorting nobility.

She ended up calling Jake, and felt a little anxious. He was the one guy she felt anxious about talking to, but he also knew a lot of friends who worked the various other guilds. She thought to hang up, but held firm. No time for fluttery butterflies now!

"Hey, Fi! You got my message, how are you?" The deep male voice called out over the arcane relay. Tucker yawned loudly as if on cue, and Jake laughed. "I see that little furball is getting the first word in, eh?"

"Hi Jake, I'm good, I've just been super busy since I got back!" She twirled her hair around her finger loosely, and sat propped up on her pillow. "Man, I'm sorry I didn't catch up to you earlier, I've been on a swivel! You heard that Barry took over Greybeard's throne for a bit? Well, he's sort of the reason I've been so busy."

"Oh, that guy?" He snorted as if he knew his reputation already. "Steer clear of him, honey. He's nothing but trouble, and I loved Greybeard because he was level-headed. I've known Barry since he was a kid, he's a snooty, scheming viper who loves money more than he does looking after people. I can't believe he's on the throne while Greybeard takes some well-deserved time off, and he's not that close to retirement."

"Yep. Tried to not get involved. The first thing he did was congratulate me when I got back. Then he handed me a tax bill for all that dragon loot I took! And because it has to be cash–and believe me, Greg scoured the rules–I have to move tons of stuff, or I go to jail! The nerve of that dum-dum!" She fumed.

"Whaaaat? No way, Fi, are you trying to handle this on your own? I'll go put that pencil pusher in his place, the guild has influences in court, and Greybeard would be furious if he heard about this! Why haven't you called him?"

"I did! We couldn't get through, it was like, the first thing I tried! I sent a courier on express, because Greybeard owed me a favor. I still can't believe he put this black sheep on the throne!" She threw herself onto the pillow, rumpled slightly. "Still though, I'm banking on this blonde dweeb having some legal reason to stick it to me, so I'm opening a shop to sell the loot! Auctioning would take too long, plus the auction house gets a massive cut. Many kobolds were humiliated in the pursuit of this loot," she growled.

Jake laughed heartily at this. "Oh, Fiona, don't change, please. I mean, what do you need? You've got friends who can help you out, just ask!"

"Oh c'mon, I would pay you guys–"

"Nuh-uh! You helped make a big impact on the effectiveness of the Adventurers Guild as a stopgap for the military, and for resource acquisition! I can pull in some favors tomorrow, we'll be there, hammers and nails ready! And we still owe you a celebration for that massive effort this weekend!" He offered with confidence. She felt her cheeks blush, and she put a hand to her chest.

"Aw, thank you, Jake! Me, Bonnie, and Greg are starting work tomorrow morning, I already have stuff ready to ship to the place, so we'll be ready." She couldn't believe it, they were going to go out of her way for this? She had the bestest friends!

"Awesome, we'll be there, Fi! I'll call a couple of guys tonight, and we'll take care of it. I'll get it on right now, we'll see you soon! And give Tucker a hug for me!"