stormpar

THIS CAN'T GET ANYMORE UNCOMFORTABLE.

BABY hadn't slept a wink

BABY hadn't slept a wink. How could she when Tyler kissed her like that — like no boy ever had — and then just left. He just fucking left?

She was still in a daze the next morning as she moved about her motel room, packing her things as they were meant to head to Oklahoma that day. Apparently, weather reports were saying some kind of tornado outbreak was beginning. It could last a few days or weeks for all they knew.

As she packed, Baby passed in front of one of the hanging mirrors and stared at her reflection.

Her fingers traced her lips, and if she closed her eyes, she could still feel the weight of Tyler's against hers. So overpowering and rough and perfect. It was a perfect moment until he ruined it by leaving.

Why did he leave?

Was it bad? Did he regret it? Did he think she was too young? Or maybe he still saw her as Boone's dorky little sister that followed him around everywhere.

Her pondering — actually, it was more like sulking — was interrupted by a quiet knock on her door. With her head down and still contemplating what happened, Baby went to open the door.

Unfortunately for her, she hadn't checked the peephole or she'd never have opened it.

There Tyler stood, his hands shoved in his jean pockets and his head hanging low in shame. Then slowly, he looked up from the ground at her, a truly conflicted look in his eyes.

"Morning... Baby." Something about calling her 'Baby' felt wrong now that he'd kissed her. Like it wasn't her name. Like it was something more.

"Hi, Tyler," she said stiffly, looking at his nose instead of meeting his gaze.

"Can we talk? Before we get on the road?" Tyler asked her.

After a moment, she nodded and stepped back, letting him into her room. He took a second, taking in her packed bags, reminded of the fact that they were about to be in the same car together for hours.

"Sleep okay?" he asked uneasily, failing to ease her into the conversation that had to be had.

"Not really," she mumbled, looking at the carpet. "Lot on my mind."

"Me too," he nodded. Then he sighed heavily. "Well, this can't get any more uncomfortable, so I'm just gone say it. We can't let that happen again."