Beat Me! Episode 56

I lay in the hospital bed, still in a daze from everything that had happened. The sterile scent of antiseptic filled the air, the beeping of machines around me a constant reminder that I was, somehow, still alive. The memories of the past days were a blur—a nightmare I couldn't fully shake off. But I was alive, and for now, that was all that mattered.

The door to my room suddenly burst open with a loud bang, snapping me out of my thoughts. Clouie stormed in, her face a mix of anger, worry, and relief.

"Ri-An!" she shouted, her voice echoing off the walls. She rushed to my bedside, her usual tough demeanor cracking as she looked down at me.

"Clouie..." My voice was barely a whisper, the words catching in my throat as I tried to process her sudden appearance. Seeing her here, with her fiery presence, made the reality of my situation hit even harder. I had been so close to losing everything, and now, Clouie was here, grounding me back to the present.

"What the hell happened to you?!" she demanded, her eyes blazing with intensity. "You disappear, stop answering my messages, and then I find out you’re in the hospital, beaten to a pulp? Who did this to you? Tell me right now, and I’ll—"

"Clouie, please..." I interrupted, my voice weak and trembling. The thought of her going after Da Eun or whoever was responsible for this sent a shiver down my spine. I couldn’t bear the thought of anyone else getting hurt because of me. "It’s... it’s complicated. I don’t even know where to start."

She stared at me, her expression softening as she noticed the tears welling up in my eyes. "Hey, hey... it’s okay," she said, her voice gentler now. She reached out, taking my hand in hers, squeezing it tightly. "You don’t have to explain everything right now. Just... just tell me you’re okay."

"I don’t know if I’m okay," I admitted, my voice breaking. "I feel like... like I’ve lost everything. Iseul, my job, my friends... I don’t even know who I am anymore."

Clouie’s grip on my hand tightened, her eyes filling with determination. "Listen to me, Ri-An," she said firmly. "You haven’t lost everything. You’re still here, and that means there’s still a chance to make things right. We’ll figure this out together, okay? You’re not alone."

I nodded, tears slipping down my cheeks. "I’m so scared, Clouie... I don’t know what to do."

She sighed, pulling up a chair to sit beside me. "You don’t have to do anything right now," she said. "Just rest, heal, and we’ll take it one step at a time. And whoever did this to you? They’re going to pay for it. I promise you that."

For the first time in what felt like forever, I felt a flicker of hope. Clouie’s presence, her unwavering support, made me believe that maybe, just maybe, I could get through this. The road ahead was uncertain, and the wounds—both physical and emotional—would take time to heal. But with Clouie by my side, I knew I wouldn’t have to face it alone.

"Thank you," I whispered, my voice full of gratitude. "Thank you for being here."

Clouie leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms as she gave me a small, reassuring smile. "You’re my favorite cousin, Ri-An. There’s no way I’m letting you go through this without me."

I smiled weakly, feeling a warmth in my chest that had been absent for so long. For the first time in days, I allowed myself to relax, knowing that I had someone in my corner who wouldn’t let me fall.

Clouie’s chuckle filled the room, breaking the tension that had settled between us. “Y'know, Jayden was here earlier... He told me you were in a bad state, and he was pretty worried about you.”

I blinked, surprised. "He’s here? Why didn’t he come in?"

Clouie shrugged casually, though I could see the hint of amusement in her eyes. "Ahh... well, he’s afraid he might annoy you again. He’s been pacing outside like a lost puppy."