35

Sloan's heart pounded in her chest as she followed Louis down the dimly lit corridor of the Vipers' headquarters. The walls seemed to close in around her, the atmosphere heavy with tension. She had managed to play her part convincingly so far, but Louis's recent behaviour had her on edge.

The door to Louis's private quarters creaked open, and he gestured for her to enter. The room was furnished with expensive, yet austere furniture, the kind that screamed power but lacked warmth. Sloan took a deep breath and stepped inside, her mind racing with thoughts of her plan and the danger it now presented.

As soon as the door shut behind them, Louis's demeanor shifted. His jovial façade fell away, revealing a more sinister edge. He crossed the room with an unsettling calmness, his eyes narrowing as he regarded Sloan.

"I've been thinking," Louis said, his voice low and menacing. "There's something about you that doesn't quite add up. I've seen your act before, and it usually has a flaw."

Sloan's stomach churned. She kept her face neutral, but her mind was working furiously to come up with a way to deflect his suspicion. "What do you mean?" she asked, trying to sound as innocent as possible.

Louis's eyes were cold as he walked towards her. "I've been around this world long enough to know when someone's hiding something. And I'm starting to think that you might not be as committed to the Vipers as you're letting on."

He closed the distance between them, his gaze fixed on hers. Sloan could feel her pulse quicken, but she forced herself to remain composed. She had to maintain the ruse long enough to gather the information she needed.

Louis's hand shot out and grabbed Sloan by the arm, pulling her roughly towards him. "You see, I've got a bit of a problem with people who deceive me. And I don't take kindly to being played for a fool."

Sloan winced as he tightened his grip, but she tried to keep her voice steady. "I don't know what you're talking about, Louis. I'm here, aren't I? I've given up everything to be part of the Vipers."

Louis's expression hardened. "And that's what bothers me. You're too eager to fit in. It's like you're trying too hard to prove something. So, I'm going to give you a chance to prove your loyalty."

Before Sloan could react, Louis shoved her against the wall, his face inches from hers. The room seemed to spin, and she struggled to keep her breathing even. She had to think fast, but her mind was clouded by fear and the intensity of the situation.

Louis's voice was a low growl. "If you're truly dedicated, then you won't mind proving it. But if you're not... well, let's just say I have ways of making sure that you understand the gravity of your situation."

Sloan's heart raced, but she managed to keep her expression as neutral as possible. "What do you want me to do?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Louis's eyes glinted with a dangerous light. "I want you to show me that you're willing to do whatever it takes. And I want you to do it now."

Sloan's mind raced as she tried to navigate the dangerous game she was being forced to play. She needed to buy time and maintain her cover while figuring out a way to escape or turn the situation to her advantage.

Louis's grip on her arm loosened slightly, but his gaze remained fixed and intense. He seemed to be waiting for her response, his eyes searching for any sign of insincerity.

Sloan took a deep breath, steeling herself. "I'm willing to do whatever it takes," she said, her voice steady. "Just tell me what you need."

Louis's expression softened, but only slightly. "Good," he said, his voice regaining some of its previous warmth. "We're going to have a little test of your loyalty. And I expect you to pass with flying colours."

As he turned away from her, Sloan exhaled slowly, trying to steady her nerves. She knew she had to stay focused and keep up the pretense. The stakes were high, and one wrong move could jeopardize everything.

Louis reached into a drawer and pulled out a file, handing it to Sloan. "This contains some sensitive information. I need you to memorise it and report back to me on what you find."

Sloan took the file, her hands trembling slightly. She gave Louis a nod, her mind racing with thoughts of how to use this opportunity to her advantage. As she turned to leave, she couldn't shake the feeling that her plan was precariously balanced on a knife's edge.

Once outside the room, Sloan leaned against the wall, her mind a whirl of thoughts and emotions. She had to keep up the façade and continue gathering information, but the pressure was mounting. The constant threat of discovery and the need to maintain her cover was taking its toll.

Meanwhile, Louis watched her from a distance, a flicker of doubt crossing his features. He was beginning to question Sloan's true intentions, and he wasn't about to let his guard down. If she was indeed plotting against him, he would find out soon enough.