Chapter 2 - Ariah's POV, 1971

Olen Warner was murdered in an attack—or at least that's what the world thinks. Poor orphan Ariah Warner, heir to one of the richest fortunes in centuries, is said to be related to the great Merlin himself. What a load of nonsense they print in the papers.

My father was a coward. He couldn't even let the world know how he truly died. No, instead, he concocted an elaborate plan to make his daughter the strongest witch alive. Grey was hired by my father to find the best teachers and trainers. Since that day, I've been taught and trained in everything imaginable. I could probably take my NEWTs now and pass with flying colors. But my training wasn't just magical—I was also taught hand-to-hand combat and weaponry, including Muggle weapons. Grey himself handled that training. Whenever I asked about his past, he'd say, "That's in the past, lass. I'm a different man now; I have more responsibilities." After that, he'd get a distant look in his eye and end training early for the day.

Grey is an unknown factor. He doesn't talk much about his life before me, but I know him well enough. For example, he absolutely loves apple tarts and the color black, even though his name is Grey. And he's hilariously clumsy.