Chapter 3

The hospital's break room was unusually quiet as Bree and I sat at a small table, nursing our much-needed coffees. The strong, bitter taste of the brew was a temporary remedy for the exhaustion that hung heavy over both of us.

"I still can't believe what happened earlier," Bree muttered, her voice low as she stared into her cup. "That was one of the most intense shifts we've had in a while."

I nodded, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on my shoulders. "Tell me about it. Emma's case shook me up. I didn't think she'd make it through surgery, but she did."

Bree sighed, taking a sip of her coffee. "Yeah, you worked miracles in there, Michaela. We all did. But it's not over yet. We still have rounds."

I could see the fatigue in her eyes—it was the same exhaustion I felt creeping through my bones. Long shifts, life-and-death decisions, and the emotional toll of caring for patients—it was the life we'd chosen, but that didn't make it any easier.

As we sat there in silence, Chief Dr. Hemmings walked by, pausing briefly when he spotted us. "Dr. Quinn, Dr. Holland," he greeted with a nod. "Good work today. I know it's been a rough one."

"Thanks, Chief," Bree said, straightening up a little in her seat.

He gave a faint smile before adding, "By the way, we'll be getting some new doctors starting next week. They'll be heading up Trauma, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Ortho, and OBGYN. I'll introduce you when they arrive."

Bree shot me a glance, her eyebrows raised in mild curiosity. New doctors meant more change, and the hospital was already a fast-paced environment. I just nodded, feeling too drained to engage in conversation about the incoming arrivals.

After Dr. Hemmings left, Bree leaned back in her chair, stretching her arms above her head.

 "More doctors, huh? I wonder what that's going to mean for us."

"Probably more chaos," I replied with a half-smile, trying to keep the mood light despite the fatigue gnawing at me.

Just then, Lexi walked into the break room, still in her scrubs, looking a little out of breath. "I heard what happened earlier—are you guys okay?" she asked, her eyes wide with concern.

Bree quickly filled her in on the bus accident, the sheer number of patients we'd had to treat, and Emma's surgery. Lexi listened intently, nodding as Bree recounted the craziness of the day.

"I can't believe I missed all of that," Lexi said, shaking her head. "It sounds like a nightmare."

"It was," I admitted, rubbing my eyes. "But we got through it. Emma's stable now, but I need to check on her soon. I'm still a little worried about her."

"You'll want to get some rest before rounds," Bree suggested. "But knowing you, you're going to check on her first."

I smiled faintly, knowing she was right. No matter how tired I was, I couldn't rest until I made sure my patients were okay.