Chapter 17

Kevin and Michaela settled into the car, the city lights flickering as they drove towards the restaurant. Kevin had a calm yet confident demeanor, his hand resting on the steering wheel as he glanced at her with a small smile.

"I reserved us a seat at a five-star restaurant," he mentioned casually.

Michaela raised her eyebrows, impressed but slightly nervous. "Wow, that’s fancy," she said with a grin, her hands smoothing the fabric of her red satin dress on her lap.

When they arrived, Kevin quickly stepped out of the car and walked around to open the door for her. Michaela stepped out gracefully, and immediately, she could feel eyes on her. Guys were subtly glancing her way, and she noticed Kevin stiffen slightly, his protective side surfacing.

"Is there something wrong with my outfit?" she asked, brushing her hands down the dress.

"Why are people staring?"

Kevin chuckled softly, shaking his head. "No, it’s not that. It’s because you’re stunning. They're just admiring you." His voice was sincere, and Michaela felt a blush creep up her neck.

As they approached the restaurant, the doorman greeted them and held the door open, allowing them to step inside. The ambiance was elegant and refined, with low lighting and soft music playing in the background. A hostess greeted them, her eyes scanning over Michaela with a subtle nod of approval before turning her attention to Kevin.

"Do you have a reservation?" she asked, her voice polite.

"Yes, under Kevin Holland," he responded, his voice carrying a hint of pride.

The hostess smiled and led them through the dimly lit restaurant, past beautifully set tables with couples enjoying their meals. Michaela felt a wave of nervousness but also excitement. This was far from her usual routine, and it felt special.

When they arrived at their table, Kevin pulled the chair out for her, waiting patiently as she took her seat. He gently pushed the chair in and sat across from her, his eyes watching her carefully, making sure she was comfortable.

"Are you okay?" Kevin asked softly, leaning in slightly.

Michaela nodded, smiling warmly at him. "Yeah, this is just… really nice. Thank you."

Before they could continue, a waiter approached them. Michaela noticed him glancing at her more than once, his smile lingering a little too long. Kevin cleared his throat, breaking the moment, and the waiter quickly shifted his focus back to Kevin.

"We'll have two glasses of red wine, please," Kevin began, ordering confidently. He then gestured toward Michaela. "And I’ll have the steak, medium rare."

Michaela followed suit, ordering her meal, though she could still feel the waiter’s lingering gaze. As soon as the waiter left, Kevin leaned back slightly in his chair, raising an eyebrow.

"See? I’m not the only one who thinks you look amazing tonight."

Michaela chuckled, rolling her eyes. "It’s just the dress."

"No," Kevin replied, his eyes locking onto hers with sincerity. "It’s definitely not just the dress."

His words lingered in the air, and for a moment, Michaela could feel her heart race again. The night had barely begun, but there was a sense of anticipation building between them.

As the waiter placed our orders in front of us, I couldn't help but feel the cozy, intimate ambiance of the restaurant to settle in. The soft music, the candlelight flickering between us—it felt like we were the only two people in the world. I glanced at Kevin as he cut into his steak, his focus momentarily on the plate, and decided to ask the question that had been on my mind all evening.