Chapter 21

The moment I left the cafeteria, my pager buzzed insistently, breaking through the brief reprieve of my lunch. The emergency alert was clear: a child had been hit by a car. My heart sank as I quickened my pace to the ER, knowing that every second counted.

The ER was a whirlwind of activity when I arrived. The child, a girl no older than eight, was on a gurney, her face pale and her breathing labored. Blood pooled around her, staining the white sheets of the gurney. Her tiny body was covered in bruises and cuts. I could see the fear and pain etched into her face despite the sedation.

Kevin was already in action, barking orders to the team. He looked up as I approached, his face serious and focused. "Michaela, we need to stabilize her before we move her to the OR," he said, his voice steady but urgent.

I nodded, quickly assessing the situation. "Let's get a central line in and start fluid resuscitation. We need to control the bleeding and get her vitals stabilized."
Once we moved to the operating room, the atmosphere was a mix of tension and intense focus. The room was starkly lit, the surgical team assembling around the child's operating table. Kevin and I prepped for surgery, our movements precise and methodical.

Kevin began by making a midline incision, the scalpel slicing through layers of skin and tissue with practiced precision. I stood by, ready with suction to clear blood and debris from the field. The wound was deep, and the sight of the damage beneath was jarring.
As Kevin carefully explored the wound, I was tasked with controlling the bleeding. We found multiple lacerations to the liver and spleen, and a ruptured artery. Kevin clamped and cauterized the blood vessels, each pulse of the cautery unit sending a sharp, acrid smell into the air.

"We've got significant internal bleeding," Kevin said, his voice tight with concentration. "We need to repair the liver and spleen and ensure there's no further hemorrhage."
I began suturing the lacerated liver, using delicate stitches to ensure the tissue would heal properly. Each stitch required careful placement, as the slightest mistake could lead to further complications. Meanwhile, Kevin worked on repairing the ruptured artery and the damaged spleen.

The child's condition was critical, and time seemed to stretch endlessly as we worked. The beeping of the heart monitor was a constant reminder of the urgency.
With the major repairs completed, I worked on closing the incisions. I layered the sutures carefully, ensuring each layer of tissue was aligned correctly. Kevin and I communicated in short, efficient bursts, making adjustments as needed based on the child's response.

Once the surgery was complete, we carefully transported the child to the recovery area. The room was still filled with tension, but a sense of cautious relief settled over us. Kevin and I debriefed with the rest of the team, ensuring every detail was covered.

The child's condition was stable for now, but the next few hours would be crucial. I took a deep breath, my hands still trembling slightly from the intensity of the procedure. Despite the exhaustion, there was a glimmer of hope. We had done everything we could, and that was all anyone could ask for.

As we left the OR, Kevin clapped me on the shoulder. "Good work in there," he said, his voice a mixture of respect and relief.

"Thanks," I replied, feeling a wave of fatigue. "Let's hope for the best."