Chapter 19

The morning sun peeked through the curtains, casting a soft glow across the room as I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. My thoughts were still swirling from last night—the awkward dinner, running into Miguel and Adrianna, and the confusing feelings I had yet to sort out. I sighed, knowing I couldn't dwell on it for long. Today was going to be a busy day at the hospital, and I had to stay focused, especially since I had a surgery scheduled with Miguel.

I dragged myself out of bed and headed to the kitchen, where Bree and Lexi were already sitting, nursing their morning coffees. 

Bree looked up at me with a smirk. "How's our love triangle queen feeling this morning?"

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a mug from the cabinet, pouring myself some coffee. "Please don't start."

Lexi grinned. "Oh, we're definitely starting. So, did you dream about Kevin or Miguel?"

"Neither," I muttered, taking a long sip of my coffee. "I dreamed about getting through today without embarrassing myself in front of Miguel again."

Bree leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. "Well, you're in luck. You've got surgery with him today, right? Time to be all professional and prove you're not flustered by him."

"Right," I said, though I wasn't convinced. "Ethan's surgery is today. It's a big one, and I need to be at my best." I could feel my stomach tighten at the thought of the young boy. Ethan, with his kind eyes and hopeful smile, deserved the best care. The stakes were high, and I couldn't afford to be distracted.

Bree's expression softened. "Ethan's that sweet kid you've been telling us about, right? The one who's been in and out of the hospital?"

I nodded, setting my mug down. "Yeah, he's been through a lot. Today's surgery is crucial for him. It's not an easy one, but it's necessary."

Lexi leaned forward. "You've got this, Michaela. You always do."

"Thanks, Lex," I said, offering a small smile. "Let's hope I can keep it together around Miguel too."

Bree chuckled. "Just focus on the surgery. You've worked with Miguel before, right? It's not like this is the first time."

"True," I admitted, though it felt different now after last night. The dynamic had shifted, and I wasn't sure how things would play out.

We finished our breakfast quickly, the easy banter helping to ease my nerves a little. Once we were done, I headed to my room to get dressed. I pulled on my scrubs, tying my hair into a neat ponytail. Standing in front of the mirror, I took a deep breath, willing myself to stay calm and focused.

By the time we were all ready to head to the hospital, the nerves had settled a little. The familiar routine helped, and as Bree, Lexi, and I walked through the hospital doors, it felt like just another day—at least for now.

Once inside, we split up, each of us heading to our respective departments. I made my way to the pediatric wing to check on Ethan before the surgery. As I entered his room, his bright eyes lit up when he saw me.