Chapter 6

As we quickly assessed the newborn, it became clear that the situation was dire. The baby was struggling with severe difficulty in breathing, each tiny gasp more labored than the last. The small chest heaved in a desperate attempt to draw in air, and the pallor of the infant's skin was alarming.

Dr. Kevin worked swiftly, starting oxygen therapy and preparing to intubate if necessary. The intensity of the situation was palpable, and the ER team fell into a focused, almost frenetic rhythm as they stabilized the baby.

I stood by Dr. Kevin's side, my mind racing. As I observed the baby's condition, a troubling thought crossed my mind. If the baby had been found outside a high school, it meant the mother could very well be a student at that school. That would imply a teenager, possibly in distress and in need of immediate medical attention herself.

"Dr. Kevin," I said urgently, "if the baby was found outside a high school, then the mother might be a student from there. We need to find out which school it is."

"Lincoln High School." Dr. Kevin said

"Bree," I called out, "can you go to the nurse's station and inform them about the situation? The mother could be in serious trouble, and we need to alert the school immediately."

Bree nodded and hurried off to relay the message. Meanwhile, Dr. Kevin and I continued our efforts to stabilize the baby. I felt a surge of urgency; not only did we need to save this infant, but we also needed to ensure the mother received the help she so desperately needed.

The minutes ticked by like hours as we worked to stabilize the baby. Despite our best efforts, the infant's condition was critical, and we had to act quickly. The team was working in high gear, and I could only hope that Bree's call would prompt a swift response from the school, giving us a chance to locate the mother and provide the help she needed.

Bree returned to the ER, her face a mix of relief and urgency. "Good news. The principal from Lincoln High called back. They found the mother, and she's on her way here."

Dr. Kevin, who had been intensely focused on the baby, looked up with a nod. "That's a relief. I have to head out—there's another trauma case coming in. Michaela, can you handle things here for a bit?"

I nodded, trying to keep my voice steady. "I've got it. Go take care of the other case."

Dr. Kevin quickly called over one of the residents, Dr. Laura Kim, who had been shadowing him. "Dr. Kim, Michaela could use some assistance here. Help her out while I'm gone."

Dr. Kim joined me at the baby's side, and we worked together in a delicate, high-stakes procedure to stabilize the infant. The room was filled with the beeps of monitors and the soft murmurs of medical staff, creating an atmosphere of intense concentration.

As I carefully adjusted the oxygen levels and monitored the baby's vitals, I couldn't help but think about the mother. She was likely in a state of panic and pain, and I hoped we could provide the help she needed as quickly as possible.

Dr. Kim assisted with administering medication and adjusting the baby's position to improve airflow.

Time seemed to stretch as we labored to stabilize the baby. Every minute felt like an eternity, but finally, we saw a slight improvement in the baby's breathing. The small chest began to rise and fall more steadily, and the color started to return to the infant's skin.

Just as we were making progress, Dr. Kevin returned to the ER, his face set with the seriousness of the new trauma case he had been attending. "How's the baby?" he asked, quickly assessing the situation.

"Better," I reported. "We're stabilizing, but we need to keep a close watch."

Dr. Kevin nodded and turned his attention to the baby, making a few adjustments. "Good job, Michaela. Let's keep monitoring closely until we get the mother here."

As we continued to care for the baby, I knew that the next few moments would be crucial, not only for the infant but also for the mother who was on her way. The team was working diligently, and with any luck, we'd be able to provide the comprehensive care both mother and baby needed.

As Dr. Kim continued to monitor the baby, my attention shifted to a young girl in the waiting area who appeared to be around sixteen years old. She looked deeply distressed, and there was a noticeable bloodstain on her skirt. It was clear to me that this was the baby's mother.

I approached her calmly. “Hi, I’m Dr. Michaela Quinn. Are you the mother of the baby we’re treating?”

The girl nodded, her eyes filled with fear and tears. She remained silent, so I gently guided her to a private examination room.

Once inside, I introduced myself again. “Can you tell me your name?”

“Lily,” she whispered.

“Lily, can you explain to me what happened?” I asked, trying to provide her with some comfort while also understanding the situation.

Her voice trembled as she spoke. “I was scared. I didn’t know what to do. My parents don’t know about the baby, and the father left me. I didn’t want anyone to know, so I left the baby in a box outside the school. I didn’t know where else to go.”

I felt a mix of frustration and empathy. “Lily, leaving a baby like that wasn’t the right thing to do. It’s important to get help when you’re in a situation like this. We need to make sure both you and your baby get the care you need.”

I quickly called a nurse. “Can you find Dr. Holly? The mother of the newborn is here, and we need to make sure she gets the appropriate care.”

The nurse nodded and went off to locate Dr. Holly. Meanwhile, I ensured that Lily was settled and comfortable, arranging for a counselor to come in and support her emotionally. It was crucial to address her immediate needs while also ensuring the well-being of her baby.

Dr. Holly arrived at the ER, her demeanor both professional and compassionate. She quickly assessed Lily’s condition and instructed the nurse, “Please bring Lily to a bed where we can properly examine her.”

Once Lily was settled in a hospital bed, Dr. Holly turned to me. “Michaela, since Lily is still a minor, we need to contact her guardian or parents. It’s important that they are informed about her situation and the care she’ll be receiving.”

I nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. “I’ll make sure we start that process right away.”

Dr. Holly continued, “We need to ensure that Lily receives the support she needs, both medically and emotionally. The involvement of her family or legal guardian is crucial for her overall care and wellbeing.”

I promptly contacted the social services department to arrange for the appropriate notifications to Lily’s parents or guardians. Meanwhile, Dr. Holly and her team began assessing Lily’s condition and preparing any necessary treatments.

The urgency of the situation was clear—both Lily and her baby needed immediate and comprehensive care. As we worked to address their needs, it was also important to ensure that Lily’s family was involved in the process, providing her with the necessary support and ensuring that her baby’s future was secured.