Carácter Peleón (Fina's feisty character)

She was pacing back and forth, when Fina heard the quiet knock on the door of her dorm

She was pacing back and forth, when Fina heard the quiet knock on the door of her dorm. She took a long calming breath, and fixed her vest, before opening the door. A surprising thrill, and then a course of anxiety shot through her when she saw Marta standing there. Marta looked both ways to assure no one saw her, and quickly ushered herself in, walking past Fina. Fina followed her inside, and the anger and indignation she felt came rushing back. Earlier, she had marched into Don Damián's office and declared that she would NEVER leave her father, refusing his offer to take the job in Barcelona. She would not be manipulated by him, nor by anyone in the De La Reina family, even if Marta was dismayed at her insolence.

With Marta's back still turned to her, she began, "Look Marta, if you have come here to reprimand me for the way I talked to your father, I..."

She wasn't able to finish her sentence, as Marta turned around, pulling her by the wrist, and silencing her with a searing kiss. She was so surprised she didn't even manage to kiss Marta back, but when she felt Marta's hands around her waist, she relaxed and sighed into the kiss. When Marta pulled away slightly, Fina shook her head with surprise.

"What, what was that for?" Fina stuttered, surprise still in her trembling voice.

Marta cocooned Fina's head in her hands, "That was for standing up to my father today, in a way that no one ever has." Marta's eyes bored into her, and she pecked her again.

Fina was in disbelief. "I thought you had come in here to reprimand me. I was sure of it. I was so worried."

Marta shook her head, while the pad of her thumbs wiped her lipstick off of Fina's lips. "No, love, of course I'm not angry with you. I'm hurt and enraged that my father would manipulate you and treat you that way, and me too, for that matter. But seeing you stand up to him today- it made me so proud of you- of being with you."

Fina felt her anxiety dissipate, and her heart flutter at Marta's words. "Ay, Marta, I'm so glad to hear that you're not upset with me, because I am not leaving. I will quit right here, right now, but I am not leaving my father, and I am not leaving you."

"Shhh, I know, mi vida. We won't let them separate us. I promise." Marta's embrace quieted Fina's fears. Marta then pulled Fina by the hand to her bed, patting down the space next to her on Fina's narrow mattress. "Come, sit down, next to me."

Fina did as she was told. Still frowning from the bad memory of her encounter with Damian, she let her head fall to Marta's shoulder, and she let Marta soothe her. They sat there quietly, with the bed dipping and creaking each time one of them moved. Fina inhaled the smell of Marta's sweet perfume, and let Marta's long fingers stroke her hair. Finally, Marta spoke.

"It was so amazing to see you stand up to him. It gave me courage to do the same. I promise I will fight for us, Fina."

Fina looked up to find Marta's blue eyes simmering with unshed emotion. She cupped Marta's perfect jaw, and pulled her in for a kiss. "I am glad to hear that. Together, we are stronger. We can't let them come between us," Fina affirmed.