Chapter 2

For the next few days, Rose saw Alec at breakfast and by Thursday night, they were laughing and joking in the bar, much to Becca's dismay as she had hoped to have the detective to herself. That was the night Alec decided he was going to try his luck and ask Rose to his room for maybe a bit of relaxation. It was that or ask the hotel owner, which he wasn't keen on since she had provided an alibi for the murdered boy's father and had just admitted she was having an affair with him. That wasn't going to deter Becca though, the famous Miss Tyler was only booked in until Saturday night, then she would make herself available.

Rose was on her second drink and Alec had hardly touched his, he was absent-mindedly putting his fingers inbetween Rose's then moving them, then playing with her thumb and finally was giving himself the jitters. He told himself to just come out and ask her if she would join him for some more small-talk in his room.

"So Alec, what are you so nervous about?" Rose finally asked him when he had hardly touched his drink.

"What makes you think I'm nervous Rose? Just had a bit of a rough day at work, you know how it is. There was some trouble, down at the harbour and I think it's going to lead to something worse. Maybe you could help me with it?"

"With your case?"

Alec smiled and ran his finger over her cheek.

"No, just help me relax, to wind down a bit, maybe?"

"Why didn't you say so? Finish your drink then we'll go to my room."

Alec could hardly believe his luck. They walked up to Rose's room and she kicked off her shoes then suddenly, she grabbed him by his jacket lapels and looked at him, then tugged at it.

"Are you going to stand there all night?"

He took the hint, letting her help him out of it then since his tie was already off, she began to unfasten his shirt buttons until she got down to his navel, then she pulled on the last bit of his shirt, tugging it out.

"So talk then or do you want me to start?" Alec said, leaning around her neck to find the top of her dress zip.

"Well, you can tell me one thing that's been puzzling me."

"What's that then?" he asked, finding how easily it parted company.

Rose put her finger on his stomach, then unfastened the rest of the buttons.

"Why has it taken you all week to ask me upstairs?"

"Oh, is that all? Well, it could have something to do with you being Miss Vitex and I'm just a lowly discredited Police detective or the fact a certain reporter has been following you around town since your arrival, practically drooling over you and waiting for the chance to rescue you again or ask you for a date."

Rose looked up as she was taking his shirt off his shoulders, having unfastened the cuffs without him noticing. He thought she was good at this.

"Really? I can't say I noticed and besides the fact you're a great detective, how would you know, since you told me you wouldn't be following me around all week?"

"Because he's my DS's nephew and all he's done since you got here is go on about you to her. I did try to warn you."

He had, she admitted to herself, on her arrival and now it seemed she'd had the reporter's attention all along and had wanted the detective's. Was he slow on the uptake or what? Olly Steven's was not her type but Alec Hardy was, all mean and moody.

Rose let her dress fall to the floor, revealing her matching black bra and knickers, her comfortable stretchy ones and Alec whistled. She smiled and tugged his shirt the rest of the way off, throwing it over his jacket. Alec knew he was already doomed.