Chapter 5

A/N: I'll be getting to the part where the stars are going out in this chapter– promise!

Rose had already fallen in love with the apartment before Alec got there and he knew she had her mind already set on it when he walked in and got a funny look from the agent. So they moved out of the hotel the following day and celebrated by going out for the evening. Rose had been to the clinic, which pleased Alec since he didn't want a repeat of their first night together and was surprised she hadn't just got up and left him or left after she had made sure he was ok at least but no, she had cleaned him up, got him dressed and stayed and now he was in way over his head and virtually a member of Torchwood except in name.

He had called his GP and he had come down so after they got home from celebrating, Alec had told her that he was off to meet someone and his friend had brought some more pills and the injections he could use in emergencies but Alec had not let on that he had almost died having sex with his new girlfriend, just that he thought it would be a good idea.

"So Alec, are you managing to stay out of trouble down here?"

"Me, stay out of trouble? Well I've got a new girlfriend, she's keeping an eye on me so you don't have to."

"I hope she knows what she's taking on Alec, unlike your ex wife. Why did you never tell Tess you were ill?"

"I didn't trust her in the end, she betrayed me. Maybe that caused it, or me almost drowning, or both. That certainly didn't help. I wake up sometimes, thinking about it. I haven't told her yet but since I met her, I've not been as bad, I don't wake up panicking now."

"Well that will improve your chances dramatically Alec. Just take your medication regularly, I'll see your paperwork gets filled in and take the time to book your operation, girlfriend or not, you need to look after yourself. The injections will help, they react faster, just follow the instructions and show her how to do it in case you're not able. What's her name? She must be something, putting up with an old grump like you."

Alec smiled. "Hey, not so much of the old. I'm thinking of surprising her and getting a makeover, trim my beard and get my hair cut."

"Then I'll be the one have the heart attack Alec. So go on then, who's the unlucky lady?"

"Her name is Rose. She came down on holiday last week and it took me three nights to get up the courage to ask her to my room then on the Thursday night, we ended up in her room."

"You old devil you, I hope you didn't attempt anything serious?" his friend laughed.

"Not the first night."

"You mean it took you two attempts and she stayed? I hope you didn't do anything stupid Alec, having sex is not highly recommended in your condition. I never said to completely rule it out but don't get too adventurous in that department. I know I said make sure you get some exercise but that wasn't what I had in mind for you."

"Don't worry, she has me under control, she doesn't let me go too far and best of all, it doesn't bother her, she's amazing, I've never met anyone like her. She even took me to meet her family over the weekend."

"Crikey Alec, you going all domestic on me again are you?"

"Something like that."

"Well she deserves a medal for putting up with you. Good luck with her and do yourself a favour, get that pacemaker fitted sooner rather than later will ya?"

After saying goodbye, Alec went back home. "Home," he thought. "Who would have ever imagined I would have a proper home again in my condition?"