Splitting Up

Young Tempest Nova couldn’t believe what had just happened-- strangers that she had only met about half an hour ago and Krypto, the dog of the legendary Superman, asked her to join them in the kitchen of the Hall of Justice… and they weren’t just being nice. They wanted her to be there, and said she might be an asset to the team.

Maybe these strangers could be the family that she had been longing for since her mother had passed away. And maybe... they could help her find the lock for her key.

Suddenly, a voice caught her attention. “Tempest?”

Tempest squeaked and flinched a bit but relaxed when she saw Misty, who was with her at the back of the group as they walked. “Are you all right?”

“I…” Tempest stammered, “...I’m fine…”

Unfortunately, Misty could see there was something really bothering her. “No, you’re not. I know that something’s wrong…”

Misty gently touched Tempest's shoulder before her eyes suddenly went white and she saw a moment that Tempest had with Lex a half an hour or so earlier.

XXXXXXXX

“Tempest… you do realize,” said Mr. Luthor as they walked down the hall, “that I took you in so you could gain experience as an assistant, and not to be frivolous, don’t you?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And, you’re supposed to be fearsome, correct? Isn’t that what your ancestor was?”

“...yes,” Tempest said softly. “My mom used to tell me that Tempest Shadow was the most feared unicorn warrior in all of Equestria. But… that’s the thing, I don’t want to be--”

“Feared?” Lex sneered. “Which do you like least… the fear of being feared or the fear of being fired and out on the street?”

Tempest’s breathing hitched at this. “F-Fired…?”

“That’s what I thought your answer would be. Now, come along. We have some calls to make.”

XXXXXXXX

Misty retracted her hoof from Tempest's shoulder, shocked and horrified at what she just saw... and she was confused.

She never had that power before, but... it must have come with her superpowers.

And what she thought she saw must have been Tempest's memories.

After regaining her breath, she turned toward the young filly. “Lex… threatened to kick you out on the street for not wanting to be feared.”

Tempest’s eyes grew wide upon Misty saying this. “H-How did you…?”

“I… think I saw your memory,” Misty said in thought. “I saw Lex being cruel to you, and he wants people to fear you like they fear him or else... he'll throw you out without any other place to go.”

Tempest lowered her head unable to hold back her feelings and she started to cry and sob as tears came from her eyes. Misty lowered her ears and hugged Tempest tightly. “Tempest…?”

Misty looked up to see Sunny, Shaggy and the two dogs approaching. “Like, what happened?” Shaggy asked. “Somehow… I was able to see Tempest’s memories,” Misty said. “Lex threatened to throw her out on the street for not being fearsome like her ancestor… somepony named Tempest Shadow.”

“Tempest Shadow… I remember her from some of my dad’s stories,” Sunny said in thought as Scooby rubbed the top of Tempest’s head with his paw, making her flinch. “ She was the most powerful commander from the Storm King's army in Ancient Equestria. She joined after she lost her horn in a Uras Major attack and her friends became scared of her because of her uncontrollable magic which hardened her heart. She became very feared amongst others.”