11 (SIDE)

[ matthew side story 1 ]

when he was in his last year of middle school, he had the hugest crush on the school's boy's soccer captain. to matthew, he was the kindest soul-always smiling and helping other's when they asked. and as a bonus, he was also super handsome and swoon-worthy.

matthew happened to be lucky enough to be sat by him in science class. which in turn got him stuck in a partner project with him.

"you're partner for this month-long project will be your seatmate. for example, matthew and gunwook." the teacher explained to the class.

matthew gulped, slowly turning his head only to be met with eye contact. gunwook had already been looking at the boy. matthew's face turned beet red as he smiled nervously. "s..so we're partners," gunwook whispered to the shorter. matthew nodded and offered a shy smile, "i guess we are. i'm matthew," he hesitantly held up his hand for a shake. gunwook reciprocated, "i'm gunwook. nice to finally meet you," the taller smiled.

the month passed by quickly. matthew always swooning over gunwook's smile and personality. gunwook had sent a risky text at 3am the morning after their month-long partnership had ended.

wettyu_matt😏

bear.wookie_gun🐻: im really sorry for messaging at this hour matt hyung, but if you're awake..would you be able to meet me at the park? i have to tell you something in person

wettyu_matt😏: YEAH
ARE YOU OK
ILL BE RIGHT THERE

bear.wookie_gun🐻: YEAH YEAH ITS NOTHING SERIOUS LIKE THATHSJJS SORRY HYUNG

wettyu_matt😏: oh tg i was scared for a minute ☹️
im here where are you
oh i see you nvm

matthew turned off his phone screen and joined gunwook at the swings. "what's up woo?"

"it's wook, hyunggg"

"you taught me last time but i do it on purpose now~" matthew smiled evily.

"so.. i just got some news from my dad." gunwook frowned and made eye contact with matthew. "i have to move to the states (usa) for now. i know we've only talked for a month, but i'm telling you," he took a second to think of the correct wording.

"i'm telling you because i've liked you for a while now. since 6th grade, actually. i now realize i should've spoken up sooner, because i won't be here. but.. better late than never?" he chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his head.

matthew got off his swing and hugged gunwook immediately. "gunwook..i'm going to miss you." he pulled back, "please keep in contact.. when are you leaving though? we can hang out as much as possible before then.." matthew was tearing up. he was so overwhelmed with emotions. his crush liked him back, but was moving far away.

gunwook pouted, "next month."

"let's make the most of it, then," matthew grabbed gunwook's hand and dragged him to a nearby convenience store.

"not an ideal first date, but we can have yummy ramen!"

the two spent the next month attached at the hip, spending the night as often as possible, and never not looking at each other. when gunwook had moved, he deactivated his social media without a word-now no contact between the unofficial boyfriends.

matthew now realized they were young, but he couldn't help but still miss him. he wished gunwook would come back, but he had also started feeling things towards someone else. it was now senior year, and he was in a month-long project with a transfer student, kim jiwoong.

jiwoong was interesting to matthew. he didn't know if he was truly crushing on him, or if it was him being touch starved. though.. jiwoong is a lot like gunwook. that's what's confusing me. i only like gunwook. i know that now. jiwoong's... just a strange acquaintance.

matthew refused to meet with jiwoong in person to work on the project. he had set that as the number one rule in the group. two being you must do your part of the work.

they communicated through emails and zoom calls, no phone numbers were exchanged. yet he somehow still eneded up at the melting point café with him after school.

jiwoong kept sending glances and placing his hands near matthews.
matthew spoke up, "jiwoon hyung. please listen carefully.." he made sure jiwoong was listening before continuing. "please know, that if we start going on dates or dating, my heart is still taken by another. you would have to win it over, but that's unfair to you. so, i guess this id a heads up?" matthew sighed, "im bad at wording, sorr-"

jiwoong cut him off, "i accept this challenge. i'll win over your heart."

and that's how it all started.

little did matthew know, melting point café had just hired a new cashier-park gunwook.

. 781 words .