Double the Joy (requested)

Taylor sat on the edge of the bathroom counter, staring down at the small white plastic stick in her hand. Her heart pounded in her chest, louder than any applause she had ever received on stage. The little screen blinked, the digital display flashing before the words finally appeared.

Pregnant

Her breath caught in her throat. She blinked once, twice, her mind spinning. The timing felt surreal — Travis had just kicked off at his practice for the Kansas City Chiefs. The game was already in motion. And here she was, sitting in their shared bathroom, finding out that she was pregnant.

"Holy...," she whispered to herself, a hand instinctively drifting to her flat stomach. Tears brimmed in her eyes, not out of sadness, but overwhelming joy. They had talked about starting a family in the future, but she had no idea the future would be today.

Her fingers trembled as she held the test, her emotions a storm of excitement, fear, and love. She wanted to tell Travis immediately, but she couldn't do it over a text or call. He deserved more than that. She would wait until he got home from practice, and she would surprise him over dinner — make it special, just like he always did for her.

---

The hours ticked by agonizingly slow. Taylor spent the rest of the afternoon carefully planning how to break the news. She decided to keep dinner intimate, something simple that felt like home to both of them. She cooked Travis's favorite meal — grilled steak with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes, a dish she rarely made because he always joked she was too good at everything and he preferred to cook for her. But tonight, it was her turn to do something extra special.

As the smells filled the kitchen, her nerves grew. She wanted the moment to be perfect. To calm herself down, she gently placed her hand over her stomach again. There was a little life — their baby — growing inside her, and she couldn't wait to share the news with Travis.

Just as she was setting the table, she heard the door open. Travis's voice echoed through the hall, tired but full of warmth. "Love, you home?"

"In the kitchen!" she called out, trying to keep her voice steady and light, though her heart was racing.

Travis walked in, his broad frame filling the doorway. His hair was still damp from the shower after practice, and he wore that easy smile that always made her heart flutter. He spotted the spread on the table and raised an eyebrow. "You cooked? Now I know I must've done something right today."

Taylor laughed nervously. "I just thought I'd treat you for once. You deserve it after all that hard work."

He walked over, wrapping his arms around her from behind and planting a soft kiss on her temple. "You're too good to me, Tay," he murmured against her hair.

She turned in his arms, her hands resting on his chest. "There's something I want to tell you," she said softly, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

Travis looked down at her, his expression shifting from playful to concerned. "Everything okay?"

Taylor bit her lip, trying to contain her smile. "More than okay."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small, wrapped package. Confused but intrigued, Travis took it from her hands, his brow furrowing. "What's this?"

"Open it and see."

With a chuckle, he unwrapped the small package, revealing a pair of tiny white baby shoes. For a moment, he just stared at them, his mind working to piece it together. Then his eyes shot up to meet hers, wide with disbelief.

"Wait... are you—" he began, his voice cracking slightly.

Taylor nodded, her eyes filling with tears. "I'm pregnant, Trav."