Chapter 4: To Protect A Little Star

He whispered gently, reaching out to part the door just enough to peer inside at her small form curled up small, face wet with tears. Seeing her so alone and afraid in this cold place stole his breath.

"Hey now... Lailah... It's me"

He murmured soothingly, making his voice as light as he could manage. Slowly he eased the door open further, soft light from the study spilling in upon her vulnerable form.

"S-Samael?...."

Lailah comes out between the hanging robes... crawling on her knees with so many cold tears running down her soft face and onto the floor... shattering into small pieces. She looked up at him with a very sad and very scared look. Her right cheek was darker than normal... Oh-No... Sera... Hit Lailah... Lailah stumbles when getting up but hugs Samael at the waistline and cries loudly!

"Elder Sera got mad at meeee!"

She cries more... getting on her knees and rubbing her cheek... Her disobedience for leaving her 'home' and meeting Samael was what made Sera mad... His blood boiled at the sight of that dark bruise marring her cheek. Sera's cruel handprints clear as day against her soft blue fur. He gathered Lailah into his arms without hesitation, cradling her close to shield her from further hurt.

"Shh...it's alright now..."

He crooned, stroking her hair soothingly over the tears falling thick and fast. In this moment all he wanted was to erase every trace of pain from her tiny frame.

"No more tears...I promise I'll look after you..."

He vowed, voice thick with emotion as he held her quivering form tight against him, a shield against the world's cruelties.

"What did I do wrong?...."

She cries in his hold... not understanding why she must be punished... only being in Samael's hold even closer... a few several eyes would appear on his halo and wings, showing how much he is angry for Sera... but now, he has to subside that anger to comfort Lailah.... He sat on his knees and holds her close, rocking back and forth.... It would be heart-breaking if he ever told her why Sera was mad.... Oh how his heart ached at her confused cries. What should he tell her? That she was punished for being different? No, that was a truth too harsh for a child to bear. Samael clenched his jaw, eyes stinging as he held her close.

"You did nothing wrong, Lailah."

He assured her, his voice a soothing whisper against the quiet room. He stroked her hair, rocking her gently in his arms.

"It's not your fault."

He repeated softly, hoping his words could take away her pain. But words were just words...he needed to do more. And he would, for her...

"We'll fix this, Lailah...I promise."

His voice was a determined whisper, a promise made amidst the lonely silence of the small closet. Samael would rock her and gently sing her a lullaby to keep her calm but knows that they don't have a lot of time before they are exposed... The melody flowed from him soft and soothing, a beacon of peace amid chaos as he held her close as he thought of an escape plan. Glancing about warily with each second was taking them further from the cruelty they'd endured under Sera's reign..... How were they going to get out of here and where can he take her? With his lullaby humming still in the air, he gazed down at her serene face nestled against his chest. She clung to him like a lifeline, trusting completely in this sanctuary he provided. Samael let his wings spread protectively around them both, creating a cocoon of quietude in the heart of Sera's cold cruelty.

"There there...we'll leave here soon..."

He murmured low, heart pounding with urgency even as he soothed her. His mind whirled with possibilities - places she might feel safe...far from Seraphim Sera. His gaze flicked again to the closed door, every fiber straining towards freedom. Somehow...someway...he would carve out a world just for them where they'd know only light. For now though, he had this stolen moment. And he vowed to make every second count.