Unspoken Desires

"So, what now?" Elena's voice cut through the tension between Lucien and Dante. "I just follow one of you around like a good little student? Or is there more to this game than you're letting on?"

Lucien was the first to respond, stepping forward with his usual commanding presence. "You need to learn how to control your power, and fast. The other families will sense the change in you soon, and they won't hesitate to come after you."

"Control?" Elena scoffed, crossing her arms, trying to keep her voice steady. "I don't even understand how this magic works, let alone control it."

"That's why I'm here," Lucien said, his voice a mixture of patience and steel. "I can teach you. But you have to trust me."

Elena arched an eyebrow, not even attempting to hide her scepticism. "Trust you? You're the one who dragged me into this mess in the first place. Why should I trust you?"

Lucien's gaze darkened. "Because I'm the only one who knows what you're truly capable of."

Before Elena could respond, Dante's smooth voice interrupted from behind Lucien. "Or," he said, stepping forward with a grin, "you could learn from me. My methods are a little more... flexible. And definitely more fun."

Elena turned to Dante, her gaze narrowing. "And what exactly does 'flexible' mean?"

Dante's smile deepened, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Lucien wants to mould you into a weapon. A tool for him to use. I, on the other hand, can help you unlock your power in a way that gives you control."

Lucien cut in, his voice hard. "Dante's approach is reckless. You need discipline if you want to stay alive."

"Discipline?" Dante laughed. "Magic isn't about rigid control, it's about knowing your desires and bending reality to your will."

Elena's frustration bubbled to the surface. "So, I'm supposed to pick between 'rigid control' and 'reckless freedom'? Sounds like a great deal."

Dante raised his hand in mock defence. "No need to decide now, love. You can spend a few days with each of us. See whose methods fit you better."

Lucien didn't like the suggestion. "This isn't a game, Dante."

Dante smirked. "Everything's a game, Lucien. You just hate when you're not winning."

Elena took a deep breath, trying to process everything. "And what exactly do I get out of this?" she asked, her voice low but firm. "What happens after I learn to control this power?"

Lucien's expression softened, though his eyes remained intense. "We keep you alive, Elena. That's the bottom line. If you don't learn control, the magic will destroy you—and anyone near you."

"And if you don't pick one of us?" Dante interjected, his tone almost mocking. "Well, the world isn't exactly forgiving to people like you, Elena. You'll be hunted, cornered, and taken apart before you even understand what you're capable of."

Elena crossed her arms, glaring at both of them. "This is happening too fast. You're both pushing me to choose between two things I don't even understand."

Lucien's voice was calm, but his eyes were sharp. "There's no time to waste. The other families—those who want your power—won't give you the luxury of time."

"And what's in it for you two?" Elena shot back. "Why are you both so eager to 'help' me?"

Dante chuckled. "You're smart, I like that. Of course, there's something in it for us. We get to control the most powerful magic in Valoria. With you at our side, we'll be unstoppable."