Planning the Next Move

The morning light filtered through the cracks in the cave, casting a soft glow on the rough stone walls. Elena stirred, her mind still filled with the weight of the night before. They had won a temporary reprieve, but the danger remained. Kallista was still out there, and the bloodline within her—a twisted mix of Kallista's, Lucien's, and Dante's—was a constant reminder of how close they had come to losing.

Lucien sat beside her, his brow furrowed as he studied the map they had spread across the cave floor. His focus was intense, but there was a quiet determination in his expression. Dante paced restlessly nearby, never one to sit still for too long.

"We need to stay ahead of her," Lucien said quietly, his voice breaking the silence. "Kallista won't wait long before she makes another move."

Dante scoffed, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall. "No kidding. The question is, where's she going to strike next? She's already lost her son, but you can bet she's not done."

Elena sat up, pulling the blanket around her shoulders as she looked between them. "She'll come after me again. I'm still her key. As long as the bloodline is in me, she'll try to complete the ritual."

Lucien's jaw clenched, his gaze never leaving the map. "We need to find her before she finds us. If we take the fight to her, we might stand a chance of stopping her once and for all."

Dante shrugged. "So, we track her down, throw a few punches, and end this for good. Sounds simple enough."

Elena frowned, her stomach twisting with unease. "It's not that simple. Kallista's not just going to sit there and wait for us to attack. She's smart, and she's dangerous."

Lucien nodded in agreement. "She's had years to plan this. We need to be smart about how we approach her. If we rush in without a plan, she'll tear us apart."

Dante rolled his eyes. "Come on, Lucien. When have we ever done anything without rushing in first? It's our thing."

Lucien shot him a look. "That's not going to work this time, Dante. This is bigger than us."

Elena rubbed her temples, trying to clear her thoughts. "So, what do we do? Where do we even start looking for her?"

Lucien traced a line across the map with his finger. "Mira mentioned something about Kallista's stronghold—an old fortress deep in the southern mountains. It's hidden, protected by layers of magic. But if we can find it..."

Dante interrupted, his tone skeptical. "If we can find it, what? We walk right into another one of her traps? I don't like the sound of that."

Elena nodded, her worry growing. "It's risky. And we don't even know what kind of defenses she has in place."

Lucien looked up from the map, his expression firm. "We don't have a choice. The longer we wait, the stronger she becomes. If we want to stop her, we need to act now."

Dante sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Alright, fine. But we're not going in blind. We need a plan—something that gives us the upper hand."

Elena looked at Lucien, her heart heavy with the weight of their situation. "How do we even approach her? She's more powerful than any of us. We've barely been able to hold our own against her so far."

Lucien's expression softened as he met her gaze. "We've held her off before. We can do it again. But this time, we go in with more than just brute force. We use the one thing she doesn't expect."

Dante raised an eyebrow. "And what's that?"

Lucien's eyes darkened. "Elena."

Elena's breath caught in her throat. "Me? How?"

Lucien's voice was calm but filled with quiet intensity. "The bloodline that's inside you is part Kallista, yes. But it's also part mine, part Dante's. She won't expect that. If we can use that connection to our advantage, we might be able to turn the tide against her."

Dante frowned. "So, you're saying we use the very thing she's been trying to complete against her?"

Lucien nodded. "Exactly. She's not the only one who can manipulate the bloodline. Elena, you're stronger than she realizes. You can tap into that power without letting her control it."

Elena's mind raced. The idea of using Kallista's own magic against her felt dangerous—like playing with fire. But there was also a strange sense of hope that came with it. "I don't know if I can. What if it backfires?"

Lucien reached out, taking her hand in his. "You can. You're stronger than she is, Elena. And you're not doing this alone. We'll be with you, every step of the way."

Dante clapped his hands together, his grin returning. "Alright then. Let's turn the tables on Kallista. She's not going to know what hit her."

Elena felt a surge of determination as she looked between Lucien and Dante. They had faced impossible odds before, and they had come through it together. This was no different.

"So," she said, her voice steady, "we find her, we use the bloodline against her, and we end this."

Lucien nodded, his grip tightening on her hand. "That's the plan."

Dante gave her a playful wink. "And you know we're always up for a good fight."

Elena smiled, though the weight of what they were about to do still pressed heavily on her. "Then let's go find her. It's time to finish this."

As they gathered their things and prepared to leave the cave, Elena couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of hope. They had a plan, and they had each other. Kallista might be powerful, but with Lucien and Dante by her side, Elena knew they stood a chance.