Chapter Four

Mrunali trailed the girls through various colourful shops, nodding politely as they gushed over ornate outfits and exquisite jewellery. Though she appreciated their efforts to include her, fashion held little interest. The only adornments Mrunali concerned herself with were books and high exam marks - far more useful in securing her dream career than bangles or anklets.

As Anjali and Neha oohed and aahed over a display of intricately embroidered lehengas, Meera sidled up to her sister, playfully nudging her with her shoulder.

"Kya baat hai, Mrunu? Not even a tiny smile for your poor twin?" She gestured to the array of elaborate outfits surrounding them that would complement her graceful frame beautifully. "Don't tell me you aren't tempted to try on some of these gorgeous designs!"

Mrunali just shrugged, offering her sister a rueful half-grin. She didn't blame Meera for her bemused reaction. They came from a comfortable, stylish family that put great stock in appearances, social circles and community standing. Mrunali's indifference to such airs and graces was an endless source of puzzlement for her sister.

"You know none of these would suit me, Di," she said simply, adjusting her ill-fitting kurta. "I'm happy enough in my basic salwar suits and chappals."

Meera sighed, looping her arm through Mrunali's as they meandered after their cousins. "Fashion has nothing to do with suitability or sizes, Mrunu," she chided gently. "It's about self-expression - embracing your unique personality through clothing!"

Mrunali just snorted at that. "What personality? You know I'd rather blend into the background than stick out!" Meera opened her mouth to argue but thought better of it. She gave her sister a sympathetic pat, wisely changing the subject.

"Okay, enough talk of clothes for now! We still haven't accomplished our mission to find you an admirer," she declared with a playful wink. Mrunali pretended to groan in protest but secretly felt touched by her sister's determination to draw her out of her solitary shell...even if the likelihood of attaining a suitor was next to impossible!